1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amerilish

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by kelebek, Oct 4, 2010.

1. kelebek

kelebek Active Member

Having gone to an International school when i was a nipper, I am pretty clued up on Amerilish and the differences between English and American.

I thought it would be fun (ok, maybe not fun..but interesting?) to start a thread on the differences incase i've missed some.

There is the obvious ones...

American: chips
    English: crisps. (Chips in England are fries.)

American: Movie theatre
    English: Cinema or pictures

American: Bathroom
    English: Toilet/loo/bog

American: Eraser
    English: Rubber

American: Cigarette
    English: Fag (although that does have more than one meaning in both countries)

American: Trash/Garbage
    English: Rubbish

American: Cellphone
    English: Mobile phone

American: Pacifier
    English: Dummy

American: Sidewalk
    English: Pavement

American: Sneakers
    English: Trainers (Irish: runners)

American: Faucet
    English: Tap

American: Vacation
    English: Holiday

American: Soccer
    English: Football

and so on.....

Pants in England are worn underneath your trousers, just like American panties. While the British may understand what you mean if you speak of 'my baggy pants,' they will likely find the mental image this conjures amusing.

The funniest one I find is American: fanny which means bum (i believe?) but fanny in English is the female reproductive organ. I still giggle when I hear American tourists talking about their fanny packs.

Anyone got any other weird or wondrous ones?

2. jmurrayhead

jmurrayhead Well-Known Member

lol I came across a member of one of my sites mentioning a 'dummy' and I had no clue what it meant until now.

American: diaper
    English: nappy

3. kelebek

kelebek Active Member

Yep, a dummy is a pacifier, but dummy can also mean a foolish person/silly billy. :D

4. jmurrayhead

That's all it means here, AFAIK :D

5. kelebek

kelebek Active Member

Nevermind 'Amerilish' I think I need to read up on Internet talk...I sat here for a good 5 minutes (don't know why as Google is my second brain) trying to figure out what AFAIK meant. :cool:

I once worked in Tourism on a resort on the coast of Turkey, we got lots of American cruise ships in on a daily basis throughout the Summer months. I overheard this very American lady (think socks & sandels, fanny pack, map, broad NY accent...) say to a Turkish man 'DO...YOU...SPEAK...AMERICAN...?' he replied 'No, madam I speak English.' I wanted to take a picture of her face, it was priceless.

Forsaken likes this.
  6. Shelley

Shelley Well-Known Member

American: Attic
    English: Loft

7. jmurrayhead

I'm mistaken...dummy has a lot of meanings in our English: http://www.google.com/search?q=defi...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a
    I had to look it up at one time, as well ;)

LMFAO...that's hilarious. As if saying it slower like that would make a difference anyway :D

8. Tungsten

Tungsten Member

It's interesting to note however that some of the "English" terms are more common depending on what region of the States you are in and/or to whom you are speaking. Tap, toilet, cinema... all quite common in my experience.

9. kyrgyz

kyrgyz Well-Known Member

American: Truck
    English: Lorry

American: Mike
    English: Kier

Forsaken and jmurrayhead like this.