Amazon set to take on PayPal with new payments strategy

Adam Howard

The e-retail giant plans to become the middleman between customers and companies that offer subscription-based payments, according to Reuters.

The e-retail giant is expected to announce a new service on Monday that will see it become the middleman between paying bills and processing transactions for both small and large companies, according to Reuters. Speaking to the news outlet in an interview, Amazon vice president of seller services Tom Taylor said the effort is part of his company's plans to "expand where people might think about Amazon helping them."

Continues from source: http://www.cnet.com/news/amazon-set-to-take-on-paypal-with-new-payments-strategy/

(Reuters) - Amazon.com Inc will start managing subscription payments for start-ups and other companies - the latest in a series of quiet moves the e-commerce giant has made into PayPal's turf over the past year.

The service, which launches on Monday, allows the company's more than 240 million active users to use credit card details stored on Amazon.com to pay for services such as a monthly phone bill or a digital music subscription. Amazon then charges a fee on each transaction.

EBay Inc's PayPal has long dominated online payments services but Amazon sees plenty of scope to push into new areas.

The new service broadens Amazon's profitable role as a middleman for third-party sellers, which account for 40 percent of its sales and extends its influence beyond its website.

Continues from Source: http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/06/09/us-amazon-com-payment-idUSKBN0EK0HW20140609

My thoughts... Good. (y)

Saw this a few days ago and was really happy. Whilst there are now a number of PayPal alternatives out there, none will have the impact or database of 'ready to go' customers like Amazon.

Saw this a few days ago and was really happy. Whilst there are now a number of PayPal alternatives out there, none will have the impact or database of 'ready to go' customers like Amazon.
It's about time someone takes on PayPal and knocks them down a few pegs. I hate paypal and even had to sue them in order to solve a matter. And I hate that so many people "fan boy" behind them and I hate that I use to be one of them. It's only until you become one of their unwilling victims / "play things" that you know them for who they really are.

So if someone can truly offer an alternative, I'm all for it. :)

I use paypal, but not really crazy about it. I feel like I'm chained to paypal for transactions over the internet, but if Amazon does it 10x's better, I'll switch.

And I hate that so many people "fan boy" behind them and I hate that I use to be one of them.
Haha yep I know what you mean there. People seem to rigorously defend them, like they are perfect. I hate PayPal so much. Especially when combined with eBay. By the time you've paid all their fees you're worse off than when you started.

I hope they open to to "public" as well.

Paypals latest 180 day chargeback claim is insanity. Not to mention the changes to digital goods.

I don't have a problem with paypal as they haven't shafted me in any serious way , however...

This was easy enough...
nice.webp

Word...
word.webp

Ok well let's just see how well this works...(I hope I just signed up for the right thing..I think it is the MWS Access.

this is the link in the first API example so unless this is for something else I think I am on the right track to trying it out...

https://mws.amazonservices.com/Subscriptions

I hope they open to to "public" as well.

Paypals latest 180 day chargeback claim is insanity. Not to mention the changes to digital goods.
Yeah that pissed me off. I got 2 emails from paypal. One telling me they'd improved seller protection, then one saying they'd improved buyer protection. Which is it?!

The worst part of their latest update is that buyers can do chargebacks on digital goods, and have 180 bloody days to do it. That's beyond stupid.

Yeah that pissed me off. I got 2 emails from paypal. One telling me they'd improved seller protection, then one saying they'd improved buyer protection. Which is it?!

The worst part of their latest update is that buyers can do chargebacks on digital goods, and have 180 bloody days to do it. That's beyond stupid.
I wonder if it is because the credit card issuers, Visa, MasterCard, and the others, stipulate that their card holders can dispute (charge back) transactions within 180 days and PayPal is simply protecting themselves from those potential charge backs?

I wonder if it is because the credit card issuers, Visa, MasterCard, and the others, stipulate that their card holders can dispute (charge back) transactions within 180 days and PayPal is simply protecting themselves from those potential charge backs?
Possibly, but if it was a major issue for them they'd have implemented it years ago I'd have thought.

180 days = 6 months
That's 1/2 a year

That's insane and irresponsible. Paypal is making it easier for people to scam people.
Ditto.

I sell a few small scripts and such on the side from time to time. These are usually php scripts and they only sell for about $50 each. This now means though that someone can do a chargeback on me 6 months down the line. You can bet that something like an email with a download link is not going to be enough evidence for PayPal at all. The only way I can carry on is to encode all my scripts with ioncube and issue expiring license keys now, which sucks big time.

Just throw in an encoded required file with callbacks within. If it's removed, it cripples the software. I've always been an advocate of software crippling for developers.

Ditto.

I sell a few small scripts and such on the side from time to time. These are usually php scripts and they only sell for about $50 each. This now means though that someone can do a chargeback on me 6 months down the line. You can bet that something like an email with a download link is not going to be enough evidence for PayPal at all. The only way I can carry on is to encode all my scripts with ioncube and issue expiring license keys now, which sucks big time.
On mail order/telephone order and internet orders it is all too easy for a cardholder to dispute the transaction which then causes the cardholder's bank to process a chargeback to the merchant's bank account. It is way too easy.

I manage the credit card processing/deductions for a well known international company and we see this all too frequently.

Sad Panda :(

Welcome to Checkout by Amazon
Please note that Checkout by Amazon is a payment service designed for physical goods purchases, and at this time it does not support payments for digital goods or services.

@Adam Howard Could you shed some light on this too please? Maybe the site URL you seen using WHMCS already.. http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?p=9148012&highlight=amazon payments#post9148012 Since WHMCS support says it can't be done yet and Amazon itself states the service does not support services yet. "YES. I have seen it used with WHMCS. Not sure if it was done using trock setup or using an add-on, but it can be done."

So, I would love to see a web host using it. So I can see what they did to get it working.

Patience aside, it's BS. Amazon use their own Payments system for their digital goods. What you do have here is a half assed implementation.

Top Bottom