Amazon S3 or HDD VPS for image storage? (~200 GB)

rainmotorsports

Not Xenforo related so putting it in Off Topic.

I am looking to put a lot of my photos onto a VPS. Not actually triggered by the Photobucket move but basically the same issue. I have been meaning to do this for a decade.

HDD VPS's are on the way out it seems but I don't think the performance is an issue for what I want. S3 seems like one way to go to make up for the lack of storage on a cheap SSD VPS. But maybe someone has a recomendation for hosts. Currently using the $5 1GB Linode for my personal stuff. So that plus S3 or a single server with the storage I need for maybe $10 a month total?

What do you plan to do with the photos? For a simple back up, you can use an Amazon Prime for unlimited storage space and there are plenty of photo services that will display your photos for little money with unlimited plans.

What do you plan to do with the photos? For a simple back up, you can use an Amazon Prime for unlimited storage space and there are plenty of photo services that will display your photos for little money with unlimited plans.
Figured mentioning the reasoning was not triggered by the photo bucket change but still the same idea covered that. I already have cloud storage. I'm looking to display the images through various methods.

Another recommendation for S3. Just recently started to use it for images and it's incredibly easy to write scripts to automate uploading photos (and other media).

You can easily and effectively use the s3 bucket method for your pictures and amazon glacier for archive should you need.

You have to remember though that Amazon costing is mostly dynamic based on data writes/reads and other variables.

Top Bottom