Amazon Cloud computing + Xenforo

Claudio

Has anyone tried to use XenForo on Amazon hostings?

I don´t have any idea of it, its like using cpanel? You upload files on folders, create the database and import it?

Hosting cloud sounds so weird so I would like to know if it´s so different as traditional cpanel hosting

I am pretty sure that s3 only allows for static hosting and Amazon has a relational database that you can use; however it isn't mysql.
The database costs about $0.11 an hour. It would take some work to have your site hosted by s3.

There's plenty of other choices out there which are better/easier than Amazon.

Amazon is more set up as "Cloud Computing", whereas you are probably looking for a "VPS" or similar service. Cloud computing is about dynamically allocating resources, scaling quickly and using only the capacity you need. Paying by the hour is ideal when you only use the extra resources for a relatively short period of time, not for always-on services.

IMO, Amazon is really only good for very large sites which need to grow/shrink dynamically based on load (eg, seasonal traffic surges such as Christmas shopping, etc). Otherwise, it's just too much work.

Try sites like Linode for always-on VPS hosting. Lots of other VPS choices out there too.

Reactions: Xon
There's plenty of other choices out there which are better/easier than Amazon.

That being said, some services like Amazon S3 can be useful for bulk-storage or hosting of large volumes of static content for your site.

As Sim said, VPS is probably the way to go for you.

Can highly recommend nimbus for forum hosting, they are currently doing an excellent job with our large (and resource hungry) VB4 forum, which will be converted to XenForo as soon as 1.1 is released properly and there is fully working VB4 importer.

The xen test forum I've setup (imported over 2 million posts!) with them absolutelyflys! :)

Dave.

Top Bottom