Alternatives To Google? (Users Can No Longer Opt Out)

DRE

Google announces new privacy changes across products; users can’t opt out

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...cant-opt-out/2012/01/24/gIQArgJHOQ_story.html

The Web giant announced Tuesday it is planning to follow the activities of users across nearly all of its ubiquitous sites, including YouTube, Gmail and its leading search engine.

 Google has already been collecting some of this information. But for the first time, it is combining data across its Web sites to stitch together a fuller portrait of users.

Consumers won’t be able to opt out of the changes, which take effect March 1. And experts say the policy shift will invite greater scrutiny from federal regulators of the company's private and competitive practices.

Basically what this means is that if you have a Gmail account, whenever you do a search for something in regular google search or youtube, it will track and record everything you do if your still logged in. The finest example is YouTube. I've went from YouTube (while in my email) and noticed that Google had me logged in YouTube under my email account. Honestly, that really pisses me off because I did not log into YouTube by choice and do not want them logging me into YouTube without my permission. I basically have to log out of that google account just to log into the YouTube account I originally created before google bought YouTube.

This is not good news no matter how you cut it because not only do they log you into the sites they bought and added to their network without your permission, they are building personal profiles with your information without your permission and you can't opt out. I am now going to search for another email provider and ads network. I'm not making much from adsense anyway so it's no sweat off my back.

Hmm.. I might have to switch from gmail... But I don't want a damned Hotmail address (or Yahoo, which I use for spam). I really hate social networking. ;) Seriously though, if I want things to be known about me, I'LL decide when that is. At least, in my perfect world I would and no one else would do it for me.

Also looks like it might be time to create another online persona and use that for such things and youtube, etc.

I'm going to adopt a wait and see attitude before I start looking for alternatives. There are enough agencies taking notice where a lot of this may be dropped before it becomes an issue.

The problem is competing services, and who has them. Gmail is the best of the freebies, for example. Google, for my needs, is still the better search engine. Besides, don't be surprised if competitors become just as invasive.

The key, however, is that nobody forces you to click on an ad if you don't want to enrich Google.

For my business, we use Google Apps, the paid version, for two of our sites, so we get ad-free webmail. For other domains, we use the free version, but since I stick with my desktop email clients most of the time, I seldom see Google's ads.

But I have no problem with governments looking into Google's affairs and making sure they don't take this too far.

Facebook? No thanks. =)

I agree that something might be done about it, but at the same time... I'd like to make sure I start work on alternatives now. I like Google, have an Android phone, tablet, etc... however, I only like things linked, when I do the linking. I have no need or desire to tell the world what I'm eating, when I crap, etc. And the world, shouldn't care either. =)

So, what free email services are out there that people feel are worth using?

You have the standards of Yahoo, GMail and Hotmail. Any others?

Facebook? No thanks. =)

I agree that something might be done about it, but at the same time... I'd like to make sure I start work on alternatives now. I like Google, have an Android phone, tablet, etc... however, I only like things linked, when I do the linking. I have no need or desire to tell the world what I'm eating, when I crap, etc. And the world, shouldn't care either. =)
I agree! That's my whole point of the thread. I honestly don't think they should log you into other sites without permission. I think it's wrong and should be illegal.

So, what free email services are out there that people feel are worth using?

You have the standards of Yahoo, GMail and Hotmail. Any others?
I still have other email accounts from yahoo and aim. I keep forgetting my msn accounts for some reason. Everytime I make one, never fails.

So far, gmx.com seems pretty nice.
http://forum.gmx.com/forum/posts/list/9206.page

madmonksg said:
I like to confirm once and for all the confusing rhetoric about the sizes.

1. What is maximum Attachment size?
2. What is maximum Email storage size?
3. What is maximum File Storage size?

I've downloaded the GMX File Manager and it says 2GB max for the mapped drive size. Same as Multi-uploader.

Anyone can clarify these sizes once and for all? I'm new and comparing different email offerings now.
Miguel said:
Hi madmonksg,

This is just to make sure you find enough time to read the forums
- and to answer other postings ...
b2eb59423fbf5fa39342041237025880.gif

No one can tell you the truth because
a) This is gmx.com, they have bugs everywhere.
b) GMX support isn’t here anymore, it seems the’ve lost their account.
c) What was true yesterday may be wrong today, they wouldn’t tell us (or their own support).
d) File size figures depend on the used system, so YMMV (slightly).

1) Attachment size depends on on email size, in total the limit is 50MB at gmx.com,
but the recipient’s provider (and sometimes the transfer route) may have different limitations per message.

2) The online email storage is “unlimited” - but in the same meaning as “for free”.

3) The FS memory limit is 2 GB.The upload / download meters seem to be buggy.

The GMX figures can be easily found here: http://www.gmx.com/email-large-files.html

Regarding 2) & 3) I’d definitely not recommend to store / archive anything at GMX,
use GMX for fun / leisure only.

Regards,
Miguel

Hmm, that sucks. But again, that's one persons disgruntled opinion. But, fair enough. Right now, I have all of my gmail mail, going to my GMX account. So.. still using gmail technically, but still covered so I don't lose my email.

I'm far more alarmed considering how much Google has a footprint on the web when you factor in services such as DoubleClick or Adsense. It's like get stalked or don't use the internet at all.

gmx kicks ass.
1. never had an attachment rejected for whatever reason
2. i have all my emails going back over 10 years
i use gmx via imap, so i know nothing much about the file manager/web portal/etc
so far as the new google policy goes, i had always assumed they data-mined in that manner all along anyway, so meh

Top Bottom