Almost 30 years of photoshop?

Robert9

And today I have finally understood that there is a big, big thing missing.

Why the hell I have only
two colours instead of four?

It happens so often in all these years, that I had to have a window with the colours I need to fetch them all two minutes again and again and again. Probably I cost my week or two in the last 30 years.

Likely someone else had this idea 20 years ago?
Likely there is an add-on that gives me four colours to switch easily?

I used to be a pretty die-hard GIMP user but something about the UI changes in 2.8 and 2.10 just... I dunno, they broke me. Found myself going off to Photoshop and not really looking back unless I'm doing pixel art stuff in which case, Aseprite to the rescue.

I used to be a pretty die-hard GIMP user but something about the UI changes in 2.8 and 2.10 just... I dunno, they broke me. Found myself going off to Photoshop and not really looking back unless I'm doing pixel art stuff in which case, Aseprite to the rescue.
Haven't noticed a major change on the Mac. It still sucks as bad as the earlier versions did. ;)
But there are several dedicated astrophotography scripts out for it... the biggest issue is figuring out how to install them.

Gimp and Inkscape.

I also rarely use this online solution:

My first copy was on 3½" floppies... 😁 On the other hand, I was using CorelDRAW back then for vector art, and I remember the first time a new version came out on CD. Such a novelty back then.
Ah the good old days, eh. I go back to 5.25" floppies but programs were also a lot smaller back then.

I am registered as dangerous with graphic software and required to stay at least 3 meters from any computer running it. :oops:😁

(Okay, that's just the same self-deprecating humour I use when discussing my alleged "singing." I do the odd bit of cropping and resizing but I otherwise leave graphic work to the pros.)

And today I have finally understood that there is a big, big thing missing.

Why the hell I have only
two colours instead of four?

It happens so often in all these years, that I had to have a window with the colours I need to fetch them all two minutes again and again and again. Probably I cost my week or two in the last 30 years.

Likely someone else had this idea 20 years ago?
Likely there is an add-on that gives me four colours to switch easily?
look for creative cloud and get to it.

And then I will have four colours instead of two?
You're talking about the Foreground and Background colors like this?

Screen Shot 2023-04-14 at 16.14.33.webp

You can add as many saved colors as you want to the Swatches tab (screenshot from PS 2023):

Screen Shot 2023-04-14 at 16.13.38.webp

Thank you very much.
My photoshop has what you have shown.
But it has no 4, 6, 8 colours where I want them.
The idea is to use "x" to switch between colours 1 to 4 (four are enough most times) like you do it now between "back" and "font"-colour.

It is about workflow, it is about clicking as little as possible.
It is about 30 years two colours "back" and "front" instead of "back" and "front" and two or four colours more.

It is about 10 million dollars that Adobe should pay me for this idea nobody has set up in the last 30 years, while ten thousands of people need billions of extra clicks to work.

Thank you very much.
My photoshop has what you have shown.
But it has no 4, 6, 8 colours where I want them.
The idea is to use "x" to switch between colours 1 to 4 (four are enough most times) like you do it now between "back" and "font"-colour.

It is about workflow, it is about clicking as little as possible.
It is about 30 years two colours "back" and "front" instead of "back" and "front" and two or four colours more.

It is about 10 million dollars that Adobe should pay me for this idea nobody has set up in the last 30 years, while ten thousands of people need billions of extra clicks to work.
Upgrade your old stuff and go with the new stuff.
Moaning about where you want things won't work.

Ah the good old days, eh. I go back to 5.25" floppies but programs were also a lot smaller back then.
The 3½" floppies were from one of my "newer" computers. In the basement I still have my old "portable" PC that took dual 5¼" floppies, and ran only DOS. Connected to my screaming-fast 1200 baud modem of course. 😁 I did have fun putzing around with BASIC though, even making a color bar test pattern so I could adjust the TV.

I was at a trade show this weekend and one of the rooms was done up in a retro theme, including an old McIntosh computer that booted from a floppy.

Gimp and Inkscape.
I use Inkscape to make vector graphics for cutting out vinyl decals for whichever car I'm taking on a road rally. It works well enough for what I need, but I miss using CorelDRAW since I am so used to working with it. (They do have similarities, though.)

My mac doesn't have a built in cd drive. Didn't want one. Don't need one.
You go to Adobe website and it's all subscription based these days.

I’m glad I still have access to a CD drive - I have software that I still use that is no longer updated (but works just fine) and I have no need to shell out for a subscription because I just bought the software back in the day.

Newer isn’t always better. If and when the time comes that the software I’m using no longer works, then I guess I’ll have to find a replacement - but it’ll be a shame.

Top Bottom