Allowing unlimited images in posts

Myke623

What are the consequences of allowing an unlimited number of images within a post? The only one I can think of is performance degradation of the client's browser. But is this something I should care about?

There is serious performance degradation coming with a lot of images in a thread. Dinh Thanh has published an add-on to deal with it. Just search resources...

Thanks HWS, but I'm specifically referring to images (using the 'img' tag), and not attachments. The ACP setting is found here:

ACP > Options > Messages > Maximum Images Per Message

I believe Dinh Thanh's resource optimises attachments.

Thanks HWS, but I'm specifically referring to images (using the 'img' tag), and not attachments.

That's different. With lots of IMG tags you will slow down rendering of the page and possibly bog down the image server with requests (if many of the images are hosted on the same server).

Ah, my fault. I didn't see anything why images should be a problem with any software. Depends on the serving website how quickly they are shown. You have no influence at all about that.

We have disabled the IMG tag completely at our web sites, because of copyright and security reasons. But this has nothing to do with your question. ;)

No problems, HWS, and thanks Jake for the response.

So as I originally suggested, the only drawback could potentially be performance degradation (on the client's end) due to serving many images remotely, either from the same or different servers.

Top Bottom