1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Allow Visitors to view but not enter certain forums

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by Zachary Ball, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Zachary Ball

Zachary Ball Member

I have a certain section where i would like visitors to know these forums exist so I want them to view. But I don't want them to be able to get inside of them or see anything inside until they register.

Can't find this permission anywhere.

2. melbo

melbo Well-Known Member

Create Private node.
    Change usergroup permissions for this node (unregistered/registered/etc) to 'view node' yes. Leave all others blank

upload_2016-1-13_13-14-49.png

3. AndyB

AndyB Well-Known Member

Here's an add-on that you can use to achieve this:

https://xenforo.com/community/resources/show-forum-list-only.4714/

4. Zachary Ball

Zachary Ball Member

5. Zachary Ball

Zachary Ball Member

Actually that is already built into xenforo.. I don't want them to actually be able to get into it. I have a forum discount code that is displayed right under description. So i would need a little more than just not showing threads.

Unless that first example allows that. Will it even let you in the forum, if not what happens when they try to click through?

6. melbo

melbo Well-Known Member

View node allows visitors to see the Forum or Category
    the next 2 permissions (View threads by others & view content) control whether a visitor can see just the thread titles in the node and finally if they can see the content. Works fine

7. Zachary Ball

Zachary Ball Member

I have it set to your permissions and it still shows title and description. I don't want it to since it has a discount code right below. Like I said, I don't need to hide threads, it is the entire forum really.

I still however want people to view forum from index.

8. melbo

melbo Well-Known Member

Oh, I get it now.
    I don't know that you can hide just the description. Have you tried putting the description in a conditional?

9. Zachary Ball

Zachary Ball Member

I have my discount code in a conditional.

10. Mr Lucky

Mr Lucky Well-Known Member

Just a thought, I know it's not what you are asking, but how about putting the discount code in a notice instead?

11. Zachary Ball

Zachary Ball Member

Because the notice can be closed by a user and they will never see it again.

12. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

You can set notices to not be dismissable. You'd use a non-floating notice for this, of course.

13. Zachary Ball

Zachary Ball Member

You should still be able to see notices just like the title and description when in forum. It still won't solve the issue.

14. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

You would still see the notice if it wasn't dismissable.

15. Zachary Ball

Zachary Ball Member

dismissable or not... the notice is still visible just like my condition at the moment. I am already using notices for the main part of forum and rather not have a ton of notices, it looks messy.