Lack of interest Allow users to opt in to new alerts for every new like or watched thread post

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

Amin Sabet

By far the biggest complaint I get from members since switching to XenForo is that they are not getting all the alerts/emails they expect to get.

When I explain that XenForo is working as designed, to only issue alerts/emails once for a thread unless you've read the thread since the last email, those members are almost always unhappy with the explanation.

I'd like to see a member preference setting that allows them to opt in to getting alerts/emails every time regardless of whether they have visited a thread. Some people are willing to get a ton of alerts/emails, and I'm willing to have my server send those (potentially many) emails on an opt-in basis.

Upvote 4
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
No, thanks. I'd rather not be "spammed" with several emails. Also, if you moved from vBulletin, then emails worked the exact same way there. It's a perfectly logical method.

No, thanks. I'd rather not be "spammed" with several emails. Also, if you moved from vBulletin, then emails worked the exact same way there. It's a perfectly logical method.

If it were opt in, you would continue to not be "spammed". But others would have an option to choose differently.

It would still likely put stress on the server and possibly get you blacklisted.
I assume they'd have their server configured to handle it. As for blacklisting, this isn't spam. The users are opting to get these emails. Plus the content changes, contains an unsubscribe link, etc.. It's not spam in any sense.

It would be the exact same as if someone constantly had their email open and clicked to view the thread between every single post. I see no problem with offering it, although I would not opt in and I don't imagine many people would.

We have contest threads that reach thousands of posts in under 24 hours and go on for weeks. I could just imagine the howling that would occur if just one individual turned that on for one of those threads. Now multiply that by 50 individuals.

Ugh. No thanks.

We have contest threads that reach thousands of posts in under 24 hours and go on for weeks. I could just imagine the howling that would occur if just one individual turned that on for one of those threads. Now multiply that by 50 individuals.

Ugh. No thanks.
Wait but the idea is not to get for every new post a new alert/mail. After someone have seen the mail/alert, it would just send a new alert, only 1. Even when after that mail 100 new messages came. Like the default alert behaviour.

The problem is, after someone read the alert or e-mail, he thinks that now everything is resetted again and will get a new alert. But it doesn't happen. People are waiting and waiting and don't realize that they have to visit the thread.

That's exactly what it is.
I don't think he meant that.

His users are complaining because they check their e-mails but don't visit the threads.
The idea is once viewed the alert/mail, that the trigger starts from new.

So let's say there is this thread A and after the last visit 10 people responded.
What is the default xenforo behaviour? He only gets 1 alert/mail saying "there is a new post and a few more".
So, if you don't visit the thread but view the alert/mail, you will never ever get an alert fo this thread again (unless the unread marker diminishes after 30 days or something and becomes to read).
Now let's say someone views the alert/mail, but he doesn't visit the thread.
Now he thinks "ok, I checked the alert/mail, so the alert-trigger should be resetted".
Ok, when now 20 new people respond, how many alerts will you get?
Not 20 for each post. Again only 1 saying "there is a new post and a few more".
The idea is that the reading of the alert/mail resets the alert trigger. Not changing the default xenforo behaviour of sending 1 alert, even when 20 ppl have responded.
At least this is what I understood and I also think this should be the default xenforo behaviour. This idea won't send for each post a new alert, it only changes the alert-trigger resetting.

But in case I misunderstood him, that he wants for every new post a new alert. Chris already explained in a past thread to achieve this via core files editting. Then you get for real for every new post an alert.

Edit: Misunderstanding. He meant that.

Last edited:
I don't think he meant that.

His users are complaining because they check their e-mails but don't visit the threads.
The idea is once viewed the alert/mail, that the trigger starts from new.

So let's say there is this thread A and after the last visit 10 people responded.
What is the default xenforo behaviour? He only gets 1 alert/mail saying "there is a new post and a few more".
So, if you don't visit the thread but view the alert/mail, you will never ever get an alert fo this thread again (unless the unread marker diminishes after 30 days or something and becomes to read).
Now let's say someone views the alert/mail, but he doesn't visit the thread.
Now he thinks "ok, I checked the alert/mail, so the alert-trigger should be resetted".
Ok, when now 20 new people respond, how many alerts will you get?
Not 20 for each post. Again only 1 saying "there is a new post and a few more".
The idea is that the reading of the alert/mail resets the alert trigger. Not changing the default xenforo behaviour of sending 1 alert, even when 20 ppl have responded.
At least this is what I understood and I also think this should be the default xenforo behaviour. This idea won't send for each post a new alert, it only changes the alert-trigger resetting.

But in case I misunderstood him, that he wants for every new post a new alert. Chris already explained in a past thread to achieve this via core files editting. Then you get for real for every new post an alert.

I want what Brogan said. I don't want to edit core files, and I want it to be opt in just for that minority of members who really want it. In fact, I think if one opts in via a setting, a screen should ask "Do you really want to get an alert/email for every single like and every single reply to watched threads? This could be a LOT of alerts/emails!" And then if someone chooses "Yes, I still want it", only then have they opted in.

@Brogan
Sorry, you were right. Apologies.

@Amin Sabet
Well, that idea would annoy your users more than that they don't have such a feature. Maybe now they want it because they don't have it and don't know how it would be like, but for real that would just send thousands of mails in minutes. Nobody wants to be flooded like that, even though in first instance they think they want it.
But, of course, you have the right to make a suggestion here and wish it for your board.

Top Bottom