1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Allow users to join select groups themselves

Discussion in 'XenForo Development Discussions' started by deadbydawn, Mar 1, 2011.

1. deadbydawn

deadbydawn Member

Hi all,

My depraved users are clamoring for a NSFW subforum which I am ok with giving them, but I'd like to make it opt-in. Meaning, visitors (and google) don't ever have to see the madness down there. Ideally, a simple addon that allows me to select which usergroups I want to make publicly joinable and then adds an option into their preferences.

Anyone a bad enough dood to knock this out? :D
  2. deadbydawn

deadbydawn Member

OK, I started working on this myself to see what I could do.. Making the option show up in the User Preferences was easy enough.. but I'm not sure how to extend the DataWriter to update the user's groups.

For example, I know that I can extend the User Datawriter to add other options like so:
    protected function _getFields()
    // Get the original fieldset from the parent class (XenForo_DataWriter_User)
    $fields parent::_getFields();

// Add your own field
    $fields['xf_user_option']['enable_ext_social_includes'] = array('type' => self::TYPE_UINT'default' => 0);

And then I can extend ControllerPublic_Account to add that setting into the list to be saved.. but that wouldn't be helpful in this scenario. And yes, I barely know what I'm doing ;)

edit - going to ask a mod to move this to the dev questions section!