Implemented Allow other user groups to be shown in the Staff Online Now block

Paul B

XenForo moderator
Staff member
I know there has been a guide posted as to how to do this, but it would be nice if it was selectable in the ACP.

A simple checkbox for each usergroup as to whether they are shown in the Staff Online Now block.

It would just be easier than making template edits each time you create a new "staff" group and/or allow you to easily update which groups are considered staff and which aren't.

By the way, I should thank Facepalmx2 for the inspiration: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/staff-online-show-more-than-admins-and-mods.6042/

Upvote 26
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
What would be an example of a usergroup that is staff but can not be admin or moderator? It seems this situation would be rare? :)

(Not trying to spoil anything here, just asking).

I have super users on my site who can create stickies and move threads but they aren't admin's and don't moderate.

I also have a developer who is a member of the staff but again isn't an admin and doesn't moderate.

I'm sure many forums have similar users.

Personally I use a few "hidden moderators" who are trusted members. I don't exactly want them on the staff list(and they think the same way about it).

In our case, we are using a "town" theme to the forum and we'd like to display special usergroups that will be considered 'town officials' more than the mods and admins. So, this would be great! :D

I have "staff" on my own website who are labelled as partner / friend site staff (sites that my products associate with - and the users on that board are usually there to be able to help support) .. and simply support staff (some have moderator privs, others don't. depends)

is there any chance to have "Staff" showing as being ALWAYS online ?

I figure it is quite hard to start off a Forum from scratch when the staff is not always online.

I would like to have an option in ACP to show the Admin or certain moderators as being ALWAYS "online now".

is there any chance to have "Staff" showing as being ALWAYS online ?

I figure it is quite hard to start off a Forum from scratch when the staff is not always online.

I would like to have an option in ACP to show the Admin or certain moderators as being ALWAYS "online now".
But that gives people a false sense of hope. Such as, wanting an answer quickly about a subject, or if someone is posting something illegal and PC (that's going to be hard to get used to typing lol) that staff member, they are not goign to get a reply, in fact, they will probably think that the staff is incompetent. Unless, of course, you want it to say that a staff member is online when anyone of them are online, that would be different lol

I've found a simple way of doing this without any template edits.

To make a member appear as Staff, they have to be explicitly made a Moderator (or Administrator).
However, if you don't add them to the Moderator (or Administrator) user group or give them any permissions, their current user title and permissions remain as they are and the only difference is they show up as Staff.

The only drawback is those members will be able to see the Moderator Toolbar but they won't have access to any reports or any inline mod tools.

If you make someone an Administrator without adding them to the group or giving them any explicit permissions, they will have access to the server error logs and caches but that's all.

I posted the full details here: http://xenforo.com/community/thread...r-as-staff-and-create-secret-moderators.7987/

Top Bottom