All the good domain names are taken... I think this may be true

Lone Fox

I have a new project I want to start, but every time I come up with a unique and catching domain name... its taken.

Some of them are legitimately being used, and I respect that.

While some of the others are just sitting there, is this what they call domain squatting?
One domain was offered for sale, so I emailed the guy and he wanted $800... I wasn't planning on buying a domain from him anyway, because I'm not sure how safe that would be. $800 ohhh no thanks.

I guess I will just have to keep brainstorming.

Domain squatting is a specific case where the domain squatter attempts to profit from a domain name that is usually related to a domain name that receives high traffic. More info:

http://howto.wired.com/wiki/Reclaim_Your_Site_From_Domain_Squatters

I agree it's a pain seeing so many dormant "good" domain names in the hands of those who collect domain names solely for selling them again at an outrages price. On the other hand, my experience is that what makes a domain name "good" or "bad" is ultimately dependent on the site that's using it. Think of "twitter.com... would you ever have thought of it as a good domain name before Twitter was started? :)

And then there's "Facebook" and honestly as far as popular domain names go, it doesn't get much worse than that. Facebook. Faaaaaaacebook. Facebóók. Nah.

lol

There are uncountable domain names available, you have to be creative.

'Tumblr' anyone?

Yes, but can not one agree that its frustrating when you spend every night after work thinking of domain names and... taken taken taken taken
Especially when the site is a blank white page, or dormant. I'm not even thinking of typical words.

Anyway, I think I cracked a name (finally)!! :D
I used a portmanteau word; what is a combination of two (or more) words / morphemes, and their definitions, into one new word.

some examples:
"Wikipedia" = wiki and encyclopedia
"Verizon" = veritas and horizon
"Eurasia" = Europe and Asia

My brain hurts, so I'm off to bed.

Descriptive domain names are all taken. If you find a catchy and nice original name, it has chances to be free. I agree with AlexT. We did some brainstorming with my staff before we came out with the name "Kosminea" that is quite distinctive, but it does not mean anything.

Descriptive domain names are all taken. If you find a catchy and nice original name, it has chances to be free. I agree with AlexT. We did some brainstorming with my staff before we came out with the name "Kosminea" that is quite distinctive, but it does not mean anything.
This :) You have to think outside of the box, be creative, make your domain name your brand. I have two blogs (sadly neglected right now) called Whimpulsive (:Da combination of Whim and Impulsive) and the other I can't write out because it contains a censored word lol

A good domain name needs to be easy to remember and easy to write. It also should have a connection to your planned content. If you plan to make money with your site, it is perfectly okay to pay $800 (or even more) for a "preowned" domain name, because it can give you a jump start in Google.

Domain squatting is a specific case where the domain squatter attempts to profit from a domain name that is usually related to a domain name that receives high traffic. More info:

http://howto.wired.com/wiki/Reclaim_Your_Site_From_Domain_Squatters

I agree it's a pain seeing so many dormant "good" domain names in the hands of those who collect domain names solely for selling them again at an outrages price. On the other hand, my experience is that what makes a domain name "good" or "bad" is ultimately dependent on the site that's using it. Think of "twitter.com... would you ever have thought of it as a good domain name before Twitter was started? :)
Ya and how about Facebook? I never liked the name. Something unique I find is all you need.

I just bought a domain name that I can not believe has never been registered. Ok so I bought 4 :-).

Point is names are still available, you just have to be the first one to think of using it, unless you want to pay someone else for thinking of it first.

I also got an email from someone offering me much more than $800 for a domain name which I rejected because.....well I don't know why.

Yah, many are taken :( I brainstormed for 2-3 hours when I finally came up with my forum (still in creation) name www.anytopix.com, was soo haaapppppy, since its gonna be a general discussion forum, name is just perfect :) And it's a ******** DOT COM ! :)

Yah, many are taken :( I brainstormed for 2-3 hours when I finally came up with my forum (still in creation) name www.anytopix.com, was soo haaapppppy, since its gonna be a general discussion forum, name is just perfect :) And it's a ******** DOT COM ! :)
Nice.

By the way you just reminded me...I have like 40 domains that I need to remove the auto renew on...it sucks when a bill comes in and says there is a charge for $stupid dollars and some change for something you don't remember buying.

Only 5 letters and mofos still forget mine. How hard is it to remember 8thos? Guess the number throws people off. Oh well it's staying since the8th is taken.

yea the shorter the better, i got a nice 5 letter domain, also its very suitable for my niche, i suppose suitable 4 letter domains are hard to find, any thing lower and you end up paying stupid amounts, example: $8.5 for fb.com

any thing lower and you end up paying stupid amounts, example: $8.5 for fb.com

Unless you go for an exotic domain extension. I got a 2-letter domain with a 2-letter extension (so 4 letters total, plus the dot). Of course a two-letter .com domain would be nice. :oops:

There are various nice search engines out there that also cover less than common domain extensions. This one is one of them: https://iwantmyname.com/

Only 5 letters and mofos still forget mine. How hard is it to remember 8thos? Guess the number throws people off. Oh well it's staying since the8th is taken.
I remember 8thos a lot better than I remember "the eight legend" (I had to visit your site, just to remember what it was once called).

Finding a domain name using common words is not easy. I got lucky that no one usually thinks to put the words, "socially uncensored" together.

There was a time when spell check would say that was incorrect. I think our society has become to politically correct & has imposed far to much social censorship, that it seem to have made an old concept, made new.

Looks like I got here just in time :D

I remember 8thos a lot better than I remember "the eight legend" (I had to visit your site, just to remember what it was once called).

Finding a domain name using common words is not easy. I got lucky that no one usually thinks to put the words, "socially uncensored" together.

There was a time when spell check would say that was incorrect. I think our society has become to politically correct & has imposed far to much social censorship, that it seem to have made an old concept, made new.

Looks like I got here just in time :D
the8thlegion and I only changed it because google disabled my adsense and I'd need another domain to get adsense working again, changing it worked.

I spent weeks finding mine...

All the good domain names are taken... I think this may be true
I thought that too,

I own a .co.uk domain name, I wanted to buy the .com domain name. The person who is sitting on it wouldn't accept my offers, they asked me to make an offer, and they wouldn't even accept 700, 800, £1000...

After a few weeks of trying to put it to the back of my mind, I came up with a new .com domain name that is better.. and available! I saved myself more than £1000.

There are some good domain names that contain keywords and are catchy, but you really have to look around and keep searching for them. This time around, I ended up buying 10 .com domain names until I was happy with the one I liked, and now I'm happy with it, I wouldn't swap it for the one that I offered £1000 for ... and it cost me £5

Top Bottom