Not a bug All Languages are being shown to the user

erich37

Affected version
Unfortunately, all installed Languages are being shown to the user.

I am running a german-language-only Forum and do have 3 languages installed:
- "Default English": the standard English language-pack which comes shipped with XF-software
- "Deutsch [Du]": this is the generic standard German-language-pack
- "Deutsch Meine Custom": this is my customized german-language-pack which I am actually showing to my users.

I just discovered that the users are able to select all 3 different languages in their "Account Settings" or in their "Preferences Settings".
I think a user should not be allowed to select from all my installed language-packs, especially since my 2 installed "German Language Packs" look totally different and have a lot of different phrases.

There should be an option in ACP, where I can define from which of my installed languages a user is able and allowed to select.
Although you might not classify this as a "bug", my website will look buggy to my users when they see some other strange phrases from the other installed language-packs which a user should NOT see. This is clearly a nightmare for me.

unfortunately-user-sees-all-languages.webp

acp-language-setting-for-user.webp

You need to remove the language selectors from your style and fix the language for all members to your default one. This can be done via add-on or template edits.

You need to remove the language selectors from your style and fix the language for all members to your default one. This can be done via add-on or template edits.

I have done all of this already.

The issue is still there, because the user (once logged-in) is able to change the language via the "Preferences"-settings.
When I just want to show ONE language to the users, why are they able to select from ALL installed languages ?

I as Admin need to have all these 3 languages installed, in order to work in the ACP and view the original phrases in english and also view the standard german-languages-phrases (whereby some of these german-language-phrases I am adapting/customizing to my own needs).

Why should I delete the installed languages, when I do need those in order to work properly in the ACP ?
I just do not want to give the user the ability to select the languages in his "Preferences"-settings. That's all.

Last edited:
I just do not want to give the user the ability to select the languages in his "Preferences"-settings. That's all.

You certainly need to adapt that template also and remove this selection option.

I would create a suggestion to add an option in XenForo to not show any language selectors and fix the default language for all members. Would be a useful feature IMHO.

While this is not a bug as it is "as designed", but this design is very frustrating. However, I would put it in the inconsistency category because a similar entity "Styles" has the ability to disable user selection.

Top Bottom