After I buy XenForo for $150, can I create multiple forums using the software?

thewallfacers

I've been considering getting Xenforo, after I purchase (for the one off cost), am I able to create as many forums as I want with the software? It's not just one purchase per one forum right?

many thanks

Worst thing you can depend on. Want reliable backups, do them yourself. To many people get burned by the providers "nightly backups" not being worth the time it takes to mess with them.
Please explain why they are bad. I get an email when they complete nightly. I need more specifics to understand your point. I appreciate your comment because it is obviously based on experience. There's a lot of value there. Thanks.

I run an Aviation forum using Xenforo. It's been going for a long time (more than 14 years),mostly on SMF (free) but I finally got it converted to Xenforo in March last year.

I have always covered the costs of running the forum (virtual server, domains, DNS hosting, now Xenforo license as well) from occasionally asking for user donations. I'm a IT Engineer by trade, so managing the site and server (OS patching, backups etc) is easy to set up myself. As its a hobby, I don't need to make money out of the forum, and I don't want to limit access to the site.

I certainly could make money if I wanted to - one guy voluntarily sends me $160 US a year, he loves the site so much, and that's not the biggest donation I've had. It helps that the content is pretty unique. Its probably not easy to start a forum that is financially self-funding with lots of competitors already existing.

Xenforo is just better. My regular tasks are easier, site looks better, works better, configuration was easy, 99% of users love the change. The only downside to Xenforo is that third party addons can be expensive, and there are less free addons than in some other forums. Xenforo is a lot of code and functionality for the renewal fee. Some fairly minor addons can be a quarter or half the cost per year of the entire forum. So if cost is a problem for you, I'd make sure that the core stuff you need is delivered in the basic forum functionality.

Please explain why they are bad. I get an email when they complete nightly. I need more specifics to understand your point. I appreciate your comment because it is obviously based on experience. There's a lot of value there. Thanks.
To many comments from folks that had relied on their hosting providers nightly backups that ended up being corrupted and them losing data.

We are etting off topic here.
But for my long term security I paln to
But a stand alone PC,
Install a backup copy of XF on it.
Restore my backusp from my web host occaisonally to make sure they work.
Have a spare router
And move my email server from my web host to a separate hoster
That way if my web host goes down, or broke or rogue on mey, I can get going in a few days.

I think you get what you pay for.
If you live in a well off country then a XF licence is only a few days pay.
If you live in Bandgladesh it might be a few months pay.
I was lucky in that I chose XF, as my oppostion are all on free software and it shows.
My users like XF's clean look and modern features.
Sure if you have a lot of add-ons it could add up.
But you need to make sure you need them, and make your forum relavent to your membersa, so you can ask them for some financial felp.

Top Bottom