After I buy XenForo for $150, can I create multiple forums using the software?

thewallfacers

I've been considering getting Xenforo, after I purchase (for the one off cost), am I able to create as many forums as I want with the software? It's not just one purchase per one forum right?

many thanks

You've not really been given the right answers here...

5. How many installations can I make with a single license?
Each license permits you to install the software once. However, you may create a single additional test installation for testing purposes only. Any test installation of this kind must be password protected, and access to it must be limited to you and your website staff.

6. Can multiple domains or subdomains be used with a single license?
Yes, as long as the domains or subdomains all resolve to the same installation, all of the content is available at every domain or subdomain, and there is no attempt to make them appear as separate installations.

You're allowed 1 installation per license (plus an extra 1 for private testing). You can point as many domains to that installation as you want, as long as they all appear the same.

You've not really been given the right answers here...

6. Can multiple domains or subdomains be used with a single license?
Yes, as long as the domains or subdomains all resolve to the same installation, all of the content is available at every domain or subdomain, and there is no attempt to make them appear as separate installations.

You're allowed 1 installation per license (plus an extra 1 for private testing). You can point as many domains to that installation as you want, as long as they all appear the same.

When you say "You can point as many domains to that installation as you want, as long as they all appear the same" do you mean, the theme has been the same across different domains? But content can be different?

For example: to create 2 forums

1) https://forum.grasscity.com/
2) https://veganforum.org/

2 different domains, and they dont appear the same (different theme). I need 2 license right?

But 2 different domains, same theme, I only need 1 license?

It comes with 12 months ticket support and updates, after that it would be $40 to renew support and updates if you wish. Any of the official XenForo addons require a renewal as well at that time if have them added to the license.

It comes with 12 months ticket support and updates, after that it would be $40 to renew support and updates if you wish. Any of the official XenForo addons require a renewal as well at that time if have them added to the license.

i see, so after 12 months, if there are no new updates, i can just install a xenforo addon, for free.

But if there has been an update after the initial 12 months, I would need to renew / update first for $40, before i can install the add on?

Does the $40 last for another year?

1.) Each domain/web server you wish to install XenForo on will require you to purchase a license. For example, if you have domain1.com and domain2.com, it will require you to purchase two XenForo licenses for each domain.

2.) XenForo upgrade files come with your purchased licenses which can be downloaded from your client area. If you wish to download upgrades after a year from your first purchase date, it will require you to pay an additional $40/year to receive the upgrades. (Ticket support is also included with your yearly purchase.)

i see, so after 12 months, if there are no new updates, i can just install a xenforo addon, for free.

But if there has been an update after the initial 12 months, I would need to renew / update first for $40, before i can install the add on?

Does the $40 last for another year?
Official XF addons are a additional cost, for example Media Gallery cost $60 to purchas (added to your license) and when renewing your license it would add $15 to the $40 renewal of your license.

wow xenforo can get a little expensive over time
Most of the paid scripts are "expensive". I've got 2 XF licenses that I'm not currently using - but plan on renewing in the near future as well as running another site on a competitors script (now, you want to talk expensive :p).... and on none of the sites did I ever make any income as all costs came directly out of my pocket.

I'm glad I happened to have a look at this discussion. Particularly the point that the license can only be used for one domain. What if one wants to stop using Xenforo on the original domain, basically close the Forum and start a Forum on another domain? Can one move one's license from one domain that no longer has an instance of Xenforo on it to another domain, and, if yes, how does one do this - is there an application process involved?

I'm glad I happened to have a look at this discussion. Particularly the point that the license can only be used for one domain. What if one wants to stop using Xenforo on the original domain, basically close the Forum and start a Forum on another domain? Can one move one's license from one domain that no longer has an instance of Xenforo on it to another domain, and, if yes, how does one do this - is there an application process involved?
Yes. You change the site URL and details in your customer area.

I've done exactly that. In 2018 I started a forum on MindfulKindness that failed because people didn't want to post stories of such a personal nature. That hosting service was not renewed after a year and all the data simply went away. For this copy of XenForo, I paid full price.

Then this year I decided to try another forum on the technical theme of translating computer programs from one specific programming language to another. (My signature has the link.) For this forum I have numerous domain names pointing to it:

FoxProToCSharp

FoxToCSharp

VFPToCSharp

They all point to the same forum and content, which is an example for the original poster in this thread. For this issue of XenForo, I paid just the renewal price.

This second attempt is going slow, so I consider it a hobby for now. With GoDaddy hosting, nightly backups, security, email and forum software, it runs me about $20 US a month. Not bad for a hobby in my opinion. I use it to do my job at work and explore some of the graphics features of websites. I built my own graphics for the discussion balloons you see on my site and have dabbled with the main forum logo you see at the top, although I conceeded to a pro who helped me in the end w what you see at the top now.

The community support you can get here is nothing short of phenomenal. Some add ons are free, some cost. Got weekend ticket support here once while installing and appreciated that a lot.

Perhaps my third attempt will be the charm.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Top Bottom