Adsense, multiple sites/accounts, and possible alternatives?

CTXMedia

I'm looking at getting the ball rolling with GeeksChat, and want to put ads on it - but am slightly worried about putting all my eggs in one basket.

I understand Adsense doesn't allow you to have more than one account - that you must use a single account for all of the ads for all of your sites - but my concern is that by adding a number of sites could be fatal if Google magically close my account without warning.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid - I don't do anything that would warrant my account being closed, but after hearing so many stories of "closed with no discussion" I'm wondering if I need to cover my bases by using a different provider for Geeks (and the other new forums I want to start this year).

Should I just put them all in my Adsense account and get on with it, or do any of you have suggestions for alternatives I could look at?

Cheers,
Shaun :D

Suggestion 1: There's no use putting ads on a new site until it gains some traffic. Don't start a site for ads, start it for it's subject...

Suggestion 2: I have multiple sites and one single adsense account. Never violated any policy, never had any problem. Get regular mails from Google suggesting optimizations for my site.

Suggestion 3: When your site does have decent traffic, look at the CPM networks for monetization. DO NOT look at alternative CPC networks as there is none worthy enough compared to Adsense.

Suggestion 4: Love your site... :)

Suggestion 1: There's no use putting ads on a new site until it gains some traffic. Don't start a site for ads, start it for it's subject...
Thanks, that's good advice, but I want to put ads in from the get-go so people understand it's not an ad-free site. It may be a good idea though to wait for a while - until the site has some momentum.

Suggestion 2: I have multiple sites and one single adsense account. Never violated any policy, never had any problem. Get regular mails from Google suggesting optimizations for my site.
This is my main concern really. If I lose the account, then I lose it for ALL the sites. I'm not doing anything to warrant my account being closed, but the more stock I put into Adsense, the greater the impact if anything happens to the account.

I suppose nothing is without risk. ;)

Suggestion 3: When your site does have decent traffic, look at the CPM networks for monetization. DO NOT look at alternative CPC networks as there is none worthy enough compared to Adsense.
Do CPM networks still exist for smaller sites? Do you have any suggestions for where I could look/sign-up?

Suggestion 4: Love your site... :)
Thanks for the advice ... I intend to ... :D

This is my main concern really. If I lose the account, then I lose it for ALL the sites. I'm not doing anything to warrant my account being closed, but the more stock I put into Adsense, the greater the impact if anything happens to the account.

I understand your point. But really for small sites, there really is no alternative, unless you happen to also own a large traffic site where you have advertising partners and you can push in your next new site with them.

Do CPM networks still exist for smaller sites? Do you have any suggestions for where I could look/sign-up?

My advice was once you reach some traffic. I think once you reach at least 10K-15K impressions you can get some of the second tier CPM networks like Technoratimedia. I have an account with them and they are good as a backup network.

Multi-Site owner here, single AdSense publisher speaking here: I concur.

Suggestion 5: If you're doing multi-site adsense publishing, do yourself a favor and edit the "allow" list of domains that is eligible for income. I read a post here at xenForo, that some sites can get you banned if you let 'em use your code.
The only thing you would have to worry about is not CLICKING that ad(s). Its okay to make a few mistaken clicks, but after that fact, don't make it a habit of doing it.

You can use your Ad on new sites, while not "recommended" by some people, I do recommend it because it accumulates your adsense impressions/clicks, the biggest requirement to reach a certain level, is having more people read each one of your posts.

For example, I purchased MVC3Forum, it started out slow, but as time goes on, I saw my Adsense "impressions" inspired a rapid growth. I marketed each and every forum post on twitter, and facebook, I got 4000 visits, 3500 uniques, and 13+k pageviews. That adds up.

Only a few days later, I marketed my blog to more than 500 people and that pushed adsense a little bit more.

Thanks Carlos - especially for the reminder about adding the domain to the allowed list ... I had forgotten to do that!! :D

I make a point of never (ever!!!) clicking on my Google ads, so hopefully I won't run into trouble.

I've added the Flexile theme and a header/footer ad slot tonight using my Adsense account, so that'll do for now. I'll experiment with OpenX later on as it would be good to have a cross-site management tool where I can do it all from a single control point (I plan to sell ads directly at some point in the next 12 months).

Cheers,
Shaun :D

The only thing you would have to worry about is not CLICKING that ad(s). Its okay to make a few mistaken clicks, but after that fact, don't make it a habit of doing it.
Yes. Learn to circumnavigate them.
Although the textual adsense ads themselves are about as appealing to users as a pair of Gordon Brown's underpants. :ROFLMAO:

Top Bottom