Adobe will force customers to pay monthly

Back again. :D

It opened and recognised the layers for the ribbon rank. However, it doesn't support all blending modes used within those layers or are associated with it. So it does partially support layers but it won't fully inherit the blending modes within the layers.

Ideally, for me it has to support and import over blending modes, this is vital because in essence blending modes used to style specific layers is really what makes the layer style visually better. I can only speak for myself but I couldn't use this as an alternative though it does seem a good editor if your designing from scratch within gimp but as far as importing blending modes need to be supported when importing.

I got the Windows version to work. No plug-ins.

Although it does have an odd green line through it.

Clearly the Windows version isn't there yet..... We can agree to that.

No problems with the Linux copy though. lol :p:D

ROFLMAO - Yeah that is a rogue guide I inserted whilst creating the ribbons in photoshop. Not sure why I added that guideline.

edit: yeah it does seem the linux version has come along more than the windows version. That said both still good editors in their own right.

Back again. :D

It opened and recognised the layers for the ribbon rank. However, it doesn't support all blending modes used within those layers or are associated with it. So it does partially support layers but it won't fully inherit the blending modes within the layers.

Ideally, for me it has to support and import over blending modes, this is vital because in essence blending modes used to style specific layers is really what makes the layer style visually better. I can only speak for myself but I couldn't use this as an alternative though it does seem a good editor if your designing from scratch within gimp but as far as importing blending modes need to be supported when importing.
Again, you're using this on Windows.

I've got all the blending modes which seem to have imported just fine.:confused:

ROFLMAO - Yeah that is a rogue guide I inserted whilst creating the ribbons in photoshop. Not sure why I added that guideline.

edit: yeah it does seem the linux version has come along more than the windows version. That said both still good editors in their own right.
GIMP was started on Linux. For years there wasn't a Windows version. The "import" from Linux to Windows was done by a few volunteers and they only step up on major releases.

As a result the Linux copy is always more fresh and up to date. But more so is the rest of the development around it, including plug-ins.

Now, if "someone" earlier had argued that Photoshop was better on Windows than GIMP was.... They'd be right. :p

Again, you're using this on Windows.

I've got all the blending modes which seem to have imported just fine.:confused:

Yeah it does seem so. I was speaking for the windows version. It's getting late now but i'm going to do more testing tomorrow with this if I send you a few psd files tomorrow Adam would you mind testing those and posting back the results for those if you have the time?

Another reason why i have to get my lazy backside moving and install linux on the external HD.

Any Acrobat Professional alternatives on Linux? I use Acrobat Professional daily to convert, edit, encrypt 128 or 256, print to pdfs, and create forms. Looking for Acrobat X format compatibility. The open-source pdf 5 file format is too old for me.

I am playing with Fedora and CentOS (...when I have spare time), even though CentOS is RedHat, I still will buy a copy of RedHat.

Sooo this GIMP has improved since the 2000's, eh? hmmm... I am going to have to give it a shot now.

It'll hardly curb piracy. Windows and most software works similarly by calling home at random. Pirates merely need to replicate the authentication server. Nothing is pirate proof. I'm still happily using my old PS CS3, only thing I ever need. I don't need new fangled silly tools.

Have you read the Adobe's Creative Cloud Terms of Use? I don't think it is really surprising...
The author is kind of an idiot it seems.

Most of that is standard to subscription services, and especially to cloud services that supply storage. Most of it is to cover Adobes back.

In relation to 'giving away' trademarks, that is if I were to register microsoft.adobe.com or another trademark to squat on it. Which is common.

Anybody else read What the Duck?

WTD1382.gif

I run a design studio of about 7 guys using Adobe CS every day and there are pros and cons to this. First thing is that upgrade jumps will now be a thing of the past, I won't have a problem if a client always upgrades and we don't (thus not being able to open a file) for example.
Price-wise it's not hugely different as we normally order the creative suite pro versions so in all likelihood we will actually come off better as we will gain access to programs we wouldn't have bought (like premiere and after effects) before for the same price. All good to me!

I think the fact it went to the cloud made everyone jump to the EA Simcity conclusion that it has to always be on, that's not the case at all.

As for the reason why they have done this is actually due to the shareholders. Most large orgs that buy in bulk for adobe products incur such a large fee they normally skip editions. Even my team did cs3, cs5 etc. Though this means that if they use this system, it will guarantee income on the years a lot of people would skip, so it means almost 100% income YEARLY for the large scale businesses but those business get more products to keep them happy. So with such a large userbase and the knowledge of x amount of yearly subscribers keep Adobe shareholder happy.

I'll upgrade and pony up for this without any problem. If I run a business, this is classed as a general cost like a camera for a photographer or boat for a fisherman - it's a tool to get the job done. I wouldn't be in the business if companies like Adobe didn't provide a set of tools like they do.

This software as a service(in the magical cloud) craze could really backfire depending on how quickly people tire of it.
It already has. Adobe is now a subject of hackings through pdf/Acrobat. Next thing they'll do is try and break the cloud servers.

Hacking the Cloud Servers? There's nothing NEW here - hackers have always gone after such info and Adobe's business model change doesn't make that more or less likely

Top Bottom