Adobe will force customers to pay monthly

Plug-in not needed. Its standard. But there is an alternative.

You're lazy, aren't you? A plug-in to tell you if you're using web standard fonts & allows you to mock them up? Really? ..... Don't worry, we've got you covered.

Also standard.

Standard.

Seems like a dropbox service... cloud service. There is an option (or plug-in) to share. Got you covered. And its free too.

Another cloud type service if I understand correctly. If Cloud is where you're going, then yes, Photoshop's monthly fee is what you should be paying. Good luck with that. My point was GIMP was good enough as a stand alone (to replace Photoshop) & best of it's free :D

There is a plug-in for that.

Got you covered too....

You don't say?

GuideGuide is for advanced guide placement and for grid management. Last I checked GIMP didn't allow for automation of guide grids.

WebInk allows you to use commercial fonts, or Google WebFonts without installing them manually (Same goes for Fonts.com). This is obviously a huge asset when you're doing a mockup for a client and need to show them different typography when you do not currently own the fonts or a subscription to one of those services.

PixelDropr is great for when you're creating or using a UI kit for large projects. I'm making a XenForo kit so that I can mockup designs for add-ons quickly without having to constantly re-creating elements.

All of these are for productivity so saying that it's lazy to do so is rather stupid as productivity is cutting down on erroneous tasks that can be completed in a faster way. When you're working at a large scale just cutting out a few tasks will save you a ton of time and effort.

GIMP isn't good enough to replace Photoshop. It is a good substitute for hobbyists, dabblers and beginners but cannot ever replace Photoshop in any shape or form. It doesn't offer enough in the way of productivity or functionality out of the box and the use of plugins doesn't necessarily negate that.

You also can't have it both ways. If GIMP can use plugins to offer functionality of Photoshop, Photoshop can use plugins to offer additional functionality which GIMP doesn't offer :rolleyes:.

GuideGuide is for advanced guide placement and for grid management. Last I checked GIMP didn't allow for automation of guide grids.

Again, GIMP has this. There is an alternative plug-in for it.

WebInk allows you to use commercial fonts, or Google WebFonts without installing them manually (Same goes for Fonts.com). This is obviously a huge asset when you're doing a mockup for a client and need to show them different typography when you do not currently own the fonts or a subscription to one of those services.

Also can be done with... GIMP

PixelDropr is great for when you're creating or using a UI kit for large projects. I'm making a XenForo kit so that I can mockup designs for add-ons quickly without having to constantly re-creating elements.

Again... Got you covered.

All of these are for productivity so saying that it's lazy to do so is rather stupid as productivity is cutting down on erroneous tasks that can be completed in a faster way. When you're working at a large scale just cutting out a few tasks will save you a ton of time and effort.

We'll agree to disagree on what task needs to be cut down. I agree making this faster is usually making things easier, but we have a difference of opinion on exactly what that is. But from what you've outlined, it can be done with GIMP

GIMP isn't good enough to replace Photoshop. It is a good substitute for hobbyists, dabblers and beginners but cannot ever replace Photoshop in any shape or form. It doesn't offer enough in the way of productivity or functionality out of the box and the use of plugins doesn't necessarily negate that.

You also can't have it both ways. If GIMP can use plugins to offer functionality of Photoshop, Photoshop can use plugins to offer additional functionality which GIMP doesn't offer :rolleyes:.

Actually, I think I can have it both ways... For every plug-in or feature you bring up... I can match (have so far).

I wonder how the gimp would handle my mood icons psds since they are into the thousands of layers and I think it might be worth trying it out. Cool I'll look into this thanks again Adam. :)

Send me the PSD file, and I'll do some screen shots of what the GIMP does with them Shelley, I promise not to pass them around.

Just recently, I've had a number of logos done and been provided the PSD files for them. They are (almost) worthless to me because of some layer attributes that the GIMP doesn't import/support. Add-on or not.

I love the GIMP, I'd still be tubing and using lens flare on PSP if not for it, but it doesn't completely support PSD files, and doesn't have the same functions or tools, as Photoshop, especially the more complicated ones. I don't even use Photoshop, and I know there are a ton of features that aren't supported in the GIMP.

Adam, please post the links to these plug-ins that are matches in the GIMP, because I'd like to create some lens flare play with them

Send me the PSD file, and I'll do some screen shots of what the GIMP does with them Shelley, I promise not to pass them around.

Just recently, I've had a number of logos done and been provided the PSD files for them. They are (almost) worthless to me because of some layer attributes that the GIMP doesn't import/support. Add-on or not.

I love the GIMP, I'd still be tubing and using lens flare on PSP if not for it, but it doesn't completely support PSD files, and doesn't have the same functions or tools, as Photoshop, especially the more complicated ones. I don't even use Photoshop, and I know there are a ton of features that aren't supported in the GIMP.

Adam, please post the links to these plug-ins that are matches in the GIMP, because I'd like to create some lens flare play with them
Yeah I'm waiting for him to post something other than "GIMP CAN DO THAT TOO!!!!1111".

I can claim Photoshop bakes me a cake, but without proof it doesn't mean crap :).

Installed it myself about 30 minutes ago.

Here's what it displays

gimp.webp
<<<<<<< GIMP

Ph0toshop (below)

photoshop.webp

Yeah I'm waiting for him to post something other than "GIMP CAN DO THAT TOO!!!!1111".

I can claim Photoshop bakes me a cake, but without proof it doesn't mean crap :).
It's been a while since I last needed more "advance" plug-ins for GIMP and like many of Photoshops plug-ins some are free and some are paid.

A quick Google Search will help you find the ones you're looking for.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=alternative+photoshop+plugins+for+gimp

It's been a while since I last needed more "advance" plug-ins for GIMP and like many of Photoshops plug-ins some are free and some are paid.

A quick Google Search will help you find the ones you're looking for.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=alternative photoshop plugins for gimp

I've tested it and have to agree with the others that it's not fully supported the layering side.

Think about the layers and as you can see above alot of the layers within the gimp screenshot haven't took. Some have blending mode styling missing and each layer can have as much as 8 blending mode associated to it. So you times that by the amount of layers that could potentially be missing and you have a lot of work to get that fixed it'll be more worthwhile re-creating the graphic from scratch imo.

I'm just posting from what I'm experiencing with gimp right now and what adverse effects I'm seeing with it not taking sides here just posting what the issues are.

I've tested it and have to agree with the others that it's not fully supported the layering side.

Think about the layers and as you can see above alot of the layers within the gimp screenshot haven't took. Some have blending mode styling missing and each layer can have as much as 8 blending mode associated to it. So you times that by the amount of layers that could potentially be missing and you have a lot of work to get that fixed it'll be more worthwhile re-creating the graphic from scratch imo.

I'm just posting from what I'm experiencing with gimp right now and what adverse effects I'm seeing with it not taking sides here just posting what the issues are.
You're using the Windows version (from your screen shot) and I know the Lunix version, which is what GIMP is native to is further along.

Send me the file

:rolleyes: I'm just sticking with you arguing for arguments sake.

Unless you can provide alternatives to those exact plugins you're bull****ting, per usual.
Search for them.

You should know (notice) my policy is never to go out of my way to prove much of anything... You could ask me the color of the sky, where do fish swim, and may name.... And I wouldn't go about trying to prove blue, water, or Adam to you.....

.... You're the one who seems interested in proving or disproving.... search.

I only state what I know. :)

So I installed this god forsaken gimp for nothing. *rages* :laugh: Actually, i was quite interested and I can safely say true psd layering support in Gimp isn't fully supported. And that is a fact.

Opened just fine for me ;)

That is odd. I wonder why windows version is having trouble. Let me try to load up the ribbon image Adam I am actually genuinely interested here and always looking for alternatives. Are you using any plugins? extensions? *ventures back into gimp* brb with the results from what I'm getting.

Search for them.

You should know (notice) my policy is never to go out of my way to prove much of anything... You could ask me the color of the sky, where do fish swim, and may name.... And I wouldn't go about trying to prove blue, water, or Adam to you.....

.... You're the one who seems interested in proving or disproving.... search.

I only state what I know. :)

You only have that policy because you lie 8/10 times :).

Now I'm done wasting time with you and I'm going back to playing StarDrive between working with my (superior) image editing tools :).

That is odd. I wonder why windows version is having trouble. Let me try to load up the ribbon image Adam I am actually genuinely interested here and always looking for alternatives. Are you using any plugins? extensions? *ventures back into gimp* brb with the results from what I'm getting.
I got the Windows version to work. No plug-ins.

Although it does have an odd green line through it.

Clearly the Windows version isn't there yet..... We can agree to that.

No problems with the Linux copy though. lol :p:D

Attachments

• Untitled.webp
    Untitled.webp
    64.7 KB · Views: 20
Top Bottom