Adobe will force customers to pay monthly

I'm not sure with being in Australia but on that page did you have a pull down under where it said 20 GB of cloud storage? If so under there you should have Requires CS3+ Purchase. Then it changes to 9.99.

Yes you are correct, you have to actually click the "join" button and go to the checkout page to find it though, they are not doing themselves any favours with that!

https://creative.adobe.com/plans?plan=single

Thanks for pointing it out, I wouldn't have clicked on the "join" button otherwise.

I am a Adobe Creative Cloud Subscriber because of the Windows 8 fiasco, however, not a fan of monthly payments for the rest of my life. I was planning on buying CS7, because my CS4 Fireworks did not work in Windows 8. Adobe hates customers like me who wait, until they feel they need to update.

CS3 and CS4 are very solid releases. CS4 was the first 64-bit release of PhotoShop and Adobe was disappointed everyone waited until CS5 to update, which was not a major release in PhotoShop. Adobe marketing even admitted that customers wait for odd numbered releases because customers feel that odd number releases are more impaction than even numbered release numbers.

What if Adobe goes bankrupt next year, what will I have? Exactly, nothing.

These companies want you on monthly payments because they do not like their customer to wait. It is a new way to conduct business, and I hate being gouged. It all adds up. Most of these companies cannot keep their fiances in order. Check out Adobe stock on NYSE, you notice Adobe is very unstable with each point release for their finances.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=ADBE

Everything you can do in Photoshop, can be done in GIMP. Either directly or via an add-on / plug-in.

The only difference is the user interface is a little different & of course, GIMP it's self is free.

Photoshop pirating is at insane levels.
This seems fair to me.
Lots of alternatives to Photoshop anyway.
And what is there left to develop anyway ?
Just use the photoshop you have :)

Why not offer both and see what customers like, I do not understand this business choice. I only know I dislike anything related to cloud computing that you use from a PC. It's a danger to privacy and often reduces flexibility.

Piracy is a problem with any software, although it also makes software more popular and known. I'm not sure they suffer that much from it and I definitely do not believe that cloud computing without the option to opt out will help their business / revenue.

Yeah I like what they are going to do. Then I can stop using Photoshop 7 since I refuse to upgrade :p
I don't think anyone buys Photoshop and at least with the cloud computing method, free updates, and the illusion of a cheaper price. And no more excuses from the 25 year old computing majors who make enough money to buy a gold toilet but refuse to pay for software >.>

Also can be done with GIMP. ;)
Wrong. No, GIMP doesn't support, and it doesn't have, all of PSD attributes and functions.

"Gimp can open PSD if file is in RGB. File in Gimp will loose text information, layers blending, layers folders and all features which aren't supported with Gimp."

"Gimp can import PSD files, losing the following:
1. Layer comps
2. Layer effects (shadow, glow, etc)
3. Vector objects
4. Layer masks

So, if you have a web design in PSD, you can almost 100% be sure that the imported file will not be as intended."

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=825934

Wrong. No, GIMP doesn't support, and it doesn't have, all of PSD attributes and functions.

"Gimp can open PSD if file is in RGB. File in Gimp will loose text information, layers blending, layers folders and all features which aren't supported with Gimp."

"Gimp can import PSD files, losing the following:
1. Layer comps
2. Layer effects (shadow, glow, etc)
3. Vector objects
4. Layer masks

So, if you have a web design in PSD, you can almost 100% be sure that the imported file will not be as intended."

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=825934
There is a plug-in / add-on that allows you to import everything. Although I've never bought it, but have been told it does all the above.

So yes, GIMP can do everything Photoshop can either directly or via an add-on / plug-in (as quoted above).

GIMP offers maybe 10% of what Photoshop offers in functionality or productivity.
Everything that Photoshop does, so can GIMP (either directly or via a plug-in). They just don't do a good job on revealing that. The user interface is not intuitive (not even close). So it makes for a big learning curve & "treasure hunting"

Everything that Photoshop does, so can GIMP (either directly or via a plug-in). They just don't do a good job on revealing that. The user interface is not intuitive (not even close). So it makes for a big learning curve & "treasure hunting"

Not jumping in just to disagree with you Adam, but I honestly don't think it does properly import all layers. Even with add-ons, extensions. Not even fireworks imports layers correctly from photoshop on the extremely big psds I tried to import (multi thousand layer psds) and they didn't import over correctly and this is an official adobe product.

Not jumping in just to disagree with you Adam, but I honestly don't think it does properly import all layers. Even with add-ons, extensions. Not even fireworks imports layers correctly from photoshop on the extremely big psds I tried to import (multi thousand layer psds) and they didn't import over correctly and this is an official adobe product.
This video was done in 2010 (3 years ago). Progress has come a lot more since than

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This video was done in 2010 (3 years ago). Progress has come a lot more since than

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Seems like it has. I noticed he had to make an adjustment for a layer to display but if this still persists and certain layers are not importing correctly for larger PSD imports this could amount to the thousands of changes one would need to make. That being said though with the vid being done 3 years ago I'm sure there have been significant improvements, tweaks and fixes made for better importing capabilities so nice find Adam.

I wonder how the gimp would handle my mood icons psds since they are into the thousands of layers and I think it might be worth trying it out. Cool I'll look into this thanks again Adam. :)

If we're going to include plugins and extensions into the mix, GIMP doesn't offer .5% :).

GuideGuide
WebInk WebFont Extension
Fonts.com WebFont Extension
Kuler
PixelDropr
LayerVault
CSSHat
Enigma64

There's about a thousand others that I'm too lazy to remember, but yeah, pretty much GIMP has nothing on productivity, functionality or even extensions for Photoshop.

GuideGuide
Plug-in not needed. Its standard. But there is an alternative.

WebInk WebFont Extension
You're lazy, aren't you? A plug-in to tell you if you're using web standard fonts & allows you to mock them up? Really? ..... Don't worry, we've got you covered.

Fonts.com WebFont Extension
Also standard.

Standard.

PixelDropr
Seems like a dropbox service... cloud service. There is an option (or plug-in) to share. Got you covered. And its free too.

LayerVault
Another cloud type service if I understand correctly. If Cloud is where you're going, then yes, Photoshop's monthly fee is what you should be paying. Good luck with that. My point was GIMP was good enough as a stand alone (to replace Photoshop) & best of it's free :D

There is a plug-in for that.

Got you covered too....

.....I'm too lazy....

You don't say?

Top Bottom