Adobe will force customers to pay monthly

37601720.jpg

Maybe they wouldn't have a piracy issue if they charged an affordable price for their software... When there is an AFFORDABLE, legal choice, people usually choose to follow the law. I guess the executives there don't understand sacrificing margins for volume.

Maybe they wouldn't have a piracy issue if they charged an affordable price for their software... When there is an AFFORDABLE, legal choice, people usually choose to follow the law. I guess the executives there don't understand sacrificing margins for volume.

Photoshop was never intended for the general public though and is priced to suit its place in the market - a professional tool aimed at pro photo studios/publishers/design houses etc. who run profitable businesses and want high-end software to achieve the best results for their products/services/clients.

There have always been cheaper alternatives for home/general/small business users. (y)

The "cloud" movement is all about nipping the distribution of useable pirated software in the bud because it allows the software makers to control who gets to use their software; i.e. paying customers only. Whether that impacts positively or negatively on their bottom line remains to be seen; I'm still in the "like to own it outright" mode (and pay to upgrade at my leisure), but we may be forced down the route of paying monthly if every software house jumps on the bandwagon!!

The "cloud" movement is all about nipping the distribution of useable pirated software in the bud because it allows the software makers to control who gets to use their software; i.e. paying customers only. Whether that impacts positively or negatively on their bottom line remains to be seen; I'm still in the "like to own it outright" mode (and pay to upgrade at my leisure), but we may be forced down the route of paying monthly if every software house jumps on the bandwagon!!

Actually, the entire "cloud" movement as far as applications are concerned is cost. It's cheaper for a company to use the software on the cloud. You rent the number of seats you need for a given month, rather than buying licenses for standalone copies.

The entire problem with the cloud craze is what does a company do when they find themselves without Internet access due to an issue? With all their apps hosted elsewhere, work comes to a standstill. Seems the IT industry needs to relearn why we got away from mainframes and dumb terminals decades ago.

I have been using Adobe Creative Suite via the cloud for several months now. You do NOT have to be connected to the internet to use the software. You download and install via their download app, which also lets you know when there are updates. The software runs locally. You only need to connect to the internet once a month or every 3 months for a license check, depends on if you are on a monthly or annual contract. All created files are kept locally if you want (what I do), or you can save them to the cloud. Since I'm doing the suite I can download and add any of the Adobe programs at anytime. Really not that big of deal to do. I held off for quite a while because I also like to own the software I use. But when I looked at the cost for me to rent it verse buying it, it was a no brainer. $30 a month (because I own a previous version) for the suite ($360 a year) vs. about $1200 to buy it and knowing a new version would probably be released this summer.

I have been using Adobe Creative Suite via the cloud for several months now. You do NOT have to be connected to the internet to use the software. You download and install via their download app, which also lets you know when there are updates. The software runs locally. You only need to connect to the internet once a month or every 3 months for a license check, depends on if you are on a monthly or annual contract. All created files are kept locally if you want (what I do), or you can save them to the cloud. Since I'm doing the suite I can download and add any of the Adobe programs at anytime. Really not that big of deal to do. I held off for quite a while because I also like to own the software I use. But when I looked at the cost for me to rent it verse buying it, it was a no brainer. $30 a month (because I own a previous version) for the suite ($360 a year) vs. about $1200 to buy it and knowing a new version would probably be released this summer.

That is good to know, I kinda thought it was like the xbox 720 where you need to always be connected to the internet. :)

Was about to say the same.

You also get a lot of additional services, including Typekit ($40 a year) which just add a lot more value to the service.

Quite honestly this is probably a great move on Adobe's part and while it is a form of preventive measure towards piracy, they have done a lot to make sure that it doesn't inhibit your workflow and that it adds a lot of perks for changing to it. It also becomes much more affordable.

The problem with this scheme is that, if you stop paying, you lose your ability to run the software soon as it fails the license check. But if you buy the software, you can use it for as long as you want, so long as computers and operating systems are compatible. With a subscription, you are forced to pay for upgrades even if you don't want them. Also, with the one-year contract, if you try to cancel prematurely, you are still obligated for 50% of the remaining fees.

I can see this as an alternative for customers who regularly upgrade and would pay similar prices anyway. But for those who just want one version for as long as it works, it's a bad deal.

When it's put that way, it doesn't sound so bad.
The problem with this scheme is that, if you stop paying, you lose your ability to run the software soon as it fails the license check. But if you buy the software, you can use it for as long as you want, so long as computers and operating systems are compatible. With a subscription, you are forced to pay for upgrades even if you don't want them. Also, with the one-year contract, if you try to cancel prematurely, you are still obligated for 50% of the remaining fees.

I can see this as an alternative for customers who regularly upgrade and would pay similar prices anyway. But for those who just want one version for as long as it works, it's a bad deal.
Agree. Works out well for one type of customer, maybe not so much the other type.

Top Bottom