Adobe Creative Cloud

I already have the Creative Suite Design & Web 6 pack. Paying a monthly fee didn't really make sense to me. I upgraded from the CS3 equivalent pack and I probably won't upgrade again for a long time. One year alone for Creative Cloud is ~$590 USD. Two years of Creative Cloud would have exceeded my cost of $950 to upgrade from CS3 to CS6.

I must say, the upgrade from CS3 to CS6 was worth every penny.

I already have the Creative Suite Design & Web 6 pack. Paying a monthly fee didn't really make sense to me. I upgraded from the CS3 equivalent pack and I probably won't upgrade again for a long time. One year alone for Creative Cloud is ~$590 USD. Two years of Creative Cloud would have exceeded my cost of $950 to upgrade from CS3 to CS6.

I must say, the upgrade from CS3 to CS6 was worth every penny.
If Adobe releases a new update for each product a year, it would be cheaper for Creative cloud.

You also get all the benefits of the additional apps and services (Typekit for example).

other than the obvious not having to pay up front, i really just dont get this.

as an individual (and as a buisiness user) i never feel the need to buy every release of a product unless it offers significant improvement in areas I will use/need... so never likely to buy a new WP package for at least another decade for example. So far i really cant recall a single new version of any software that was so more functional that you just had to have it... well not since win3>3.1:p

as an ex it manager( back in the day when we had real computers :p) the thought of someone else having the ability to update/change software before i had tested it just leaves me cold, the thought of trusting someone like MS or adobe to do so over a whole department or company would keep me awake at nights...

currently on CS5 so not a hope in hell of me updating till probably cs8

I was using CS3 which didn't really like Win7. It would have cost a lot of up front money to upgrade, and my site makes very little money. I like that I can get any / all of the CS products for once fee per month, plus I get regular updates automatically. I really like it and am proposing to get it here for work too.

other than the obvious not having to pay up front, i really just dont get this.

as an individual (and as a buisiness user) i never feel the need to buy every release of a product unless it offers significant improvement in areas I will use/need... so never likely to buy a new WP package for at least another decade for example. So far i really cant recall a single new version of any software that was so more functional that you just had to have it... well not since win3>3.1:p

as an ex it manager( back in the day when we had real computers :p) the thought of someone else having the ability to update/change software before i had tested it just leaves me cold, the thought of trusting someone like MS or adobe to do so over a whole department or company would keep me awake at nights...

currently on CS5 so not a hope in hell of me updating till probably cs8
Obviously it doesn't make sense for people who don't need it, and don't need to upgrade for their profession. For people who get a huge benefit out of using it however, it is cost efficient, and has quite a few benefits.

Yes, for hobbyists and amateurs.

There is no alternative to Photoshop or Illustrator in the professional market.
Such a small minded and narrow point of view you have.

There are plenty of alternatives which many professional people use. And of equal or greater quality.

Such a small minded and narrow point of view you have.

There are plenty of alternatives which many professional people use. And of equal or greater quality.

Okay, what alternatives are there for Photoshop and Illustrator that are used professionally? I've used pretty much alternative, and none of them are 'equal or greater quality'. None of them are used widely in graphic or web design either. One of the only real alternatives to Photoshop is Fireworks, which is an Adobe product.

While you might think my opinion is narrow and simple minded, it is just how it is in the professional market. The workflow, usability and scale of use of Photoshop cannot be filled by the likes of Gimp or most alternatives. And the ones that can fill at least a partial role of Photoshop generally aren't free. Such tools might pass in the hobbyist or amateur market, but definitely not by professionals.

Okay, what alternatives are there for Photoshop and Illustrator that are used professionally? I've used pretty much alternative, and none of them are 'equal or greater quality'. None of them are used widely in graphic or web design either. One of the only real alternatives to Photoshop is Fireworks, which is an Adobe product.

While you might think my opinion is narrow and simple minded, it is just how it is in the professional market. The workflow, usability and scale of use of Photoshop cannot be filled by the likes of Gimp or most alternatives. And the ones that can fill at least a partial role of Photoshop generally aren't free. Such tools might pass in the hobbyist or amateur market, but definitely not by professionals.
Clearly you have a very close minded opinion and we will have to disagree.

But everything you do in Photoshop or in Fireworks can be done using alternatives. And I know plenty of professional people who do not use Photoshop or Fireworks.

Clearly you have a very close minded opinion and we will have to disagree.

But everything you do in Photoshop or in Fireworks can be done using alternatives.
And you're still not posting up examples :).

You can keep on trying to insult me (I couldn't care less what you say, so you're just wasting your time), but at the end of the day there really is no alternative to Photoshop or Illustrator.

And you're still not posting up examples :).

You can keep on trying to insult me (I couldn't care less what you say, so you're just wasting your time), but at the end of the day there really is no alternative to Photoshop or Illustrator.
I see no need to list anything when 1/2 of my list is what you have already listed.

I have not stated any insult, only a matter of an opinion based on how strongly you seem to be convinced. What we have is a matter of two different opinions and clearly we will neither agree and so we must agree to disagree.

I think that there are only (good) alternatives to photoshop as far as I can tell. Such as GIMP, which is a pretty decent tool but isn't as good as Photoshop just down to pure workflows.

Certainly there are no free programs to replace indesign and nor would I trust them with a certain print run of 20,000 copies and a truck-load of cash balancing on the brink of a PDF failure. Companies who have big print jobs to do have budgets to buy software to ensure these failures don't happen, so adobe software is budgeted for from the outset because it's better to trust the programs you work with than free versions for little cost benefit. When you consider small print runs of a 50page book for 10,000 copies costs tens of thousands to print, a small cost of buying creative suite is like pocket change. It earns you peace of mind and speed too.

If you work in a design environment (like I do) you'll find that you need different tools that all need to speak to each other like illustrator or indesign and there is no free solution to the Adobe products that come even slightly close. If you are doing some simple web banners I suppose you can just get away with GIMP as a free alternative, but certainly for me I can't.

As for the original post, I think there are benefits to creative cloud - if you are a freelancer and know you only get work for half of the year, you can technically just get one license for 6 months instead of buying a whole suite which is pretty pricey - plus you get the odd program thrown in there that you may not otherwise get.

It's obviously a move to appear a little cheaper to curb some piracy as they found that selling lightroom cheaper than they did originally bagged them a lot more sales.

I'm using Creative Cloud with student pricing, so for me, it's $29/month. For me, it's not bad and I get access to all the CS6 products. I use Illustrator and Photoshop fairly regularly, and I'm presently learning Audition so I can edit some music files.

NOTHING COMPARES TO PHOTOSHOP....PERIOD.

Sorry for yelling...but seriously I try everything I see that I can put to good use....and at the end of the day....nothing even touches the same planet as photoshop...the only thing I use over it is very specific to what I am doing and it is toonboom animate pro and that is only when the task at hand calls for it...by default photoshop is what I open first...

Also for what it's worth...PS cs6 runs much better than cs5/5.5

I use gimp almost daily on my linux laptop and I use adobe photoshop just as often. There is no comparison. Photoshop wins hands down. Gimp is something I suggest to people who need something better than Microsoft Paint....

Inkscape in caparison to illustrator? Illustrator has way more abilities but inkscape isn't really too shabby.

Everything else... I don't really think I can replace.

I just got creative cloud today $29/m for upgrading from my 5.1
I didn't even know they had mobile tools! I mean I figured they may eventually do this, but I didn't think that it'd be this soon. It's not blowing my socks off, but it sure is interesting...

Top Bottom