"Address" book (not what you're thinking) . . .

LuvMeSumZen

My members mail a lot of stuff back and forth. I mean snail mail not email. We trade physical addresses all the time, and since it is difficult if not impossible to search conversations we are constantly having to trade addresses and phone numbers. We could keep hard copies but it would be so much better to have a link within our Conversations area where we could keep them.

There's probably more ways to skin this cat but I can't think what they might be. Any ideas?

What sort of security risks might there be? Like would you want both users to agree to trading contacts and THEN just create a listing on each conversation with the addresses of each user in said conversation?

What I have in mind is to add another link in the Conversation Menu Bar as it doesn't scroll up and down like the other menus do (I prefer all static menus but that's another ball of wax) as shown below . . .

Address Book.webp

Once a member receives an address phone etc. they can highlight and copy it. Once they do that they can click the Address Book link which will take them to a "book of alphabets" which they can click according to the users name and then paste the info in a "card" or whatever and the add on would organize them alphabetically within each letter such as Davenport then Davis then Dawson etc. just stacking them upon each other perhaps each letter having it's own page or pages as the book grows.

I have no clue about the details on 'how' to do it but I see in my mind's eye how I want it to function and work. I wouldn't want a bunch of features or options I'd want it kept as simple as possible. I could be more detailed if you think this is something you might want to discuss further.

Once they do that they can click the Address Book link which will take them to a "book of alphabets" which they can click according to the users name ...

Once they click "Address Book" they might see this:

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ

With each letter being a link to a "page" or whatever such as a tab within a rolodex. For example you just sent me your address in a conversation and we don't want to have to trade it everytime because we send each other wood (that's what my forum is about) several times a week. So I would click the letter "S" and it would take me to a page where I paste the info for members having usernames beginning with "S". I would paste your real name and address and phone number in a area then click submit. The addon would be able to organize all the usernames in order so I could easily navigate to your username even if I have 50 other usernames beginning with "S". Making any sense yet?

Once they click "Address Book" they might see this:

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ

With each letter being a link to a "page" or whatever such as a tab within a rolodex. For example you just sent me your address in a conversation and we don't want to have to trade it everytime because we send each other wood (that's what my forum is about) several times a week. So I would click the letter "S" and it would take me to a page where I paste the info for members having usernames beginning with "S". I would paste your real name and address and phone number in a area then click submit. The addon would be able to organize all the usernames in order so I could easily navigate to your username even if I have 50 other usernames beginning with "S". Making any sense yet?
A little better, would it be better for each user to add their info to the forum so everyone is in charge of getting information in the address book?

Oh heavens no, not at all! Each users address book would only contain member info that both parties agreed to exchange.

I'm not sure - how would a member prevent just any member from following them and suddenly having access to such sensitive info as their real name address etc.?

I'm not sure - how would a member prevent just any member from following them and suddenly having access to such sensitive ifo as their real name address etc.?
That what I'm thinking, maybe for each conversation, they send a request to that user for their contact info. If the user approves it, the details are shown.
So like in the Conversation you click 'Address Book' and every user in that conversation comes up in a list. Next to their name, it has a link titled 'Request Contact Information' or something and when you click on that, it sends the user an alert saying like 'Silence has requested your contact information in the conversation WHY IS IT SO COLD OUT?!'. Once they approve the request, the contact information is shown. This way, each conversation is kept private and maybe even allow users to remove previously given access from a conversation.

That what I'm thinking, maybe for each conversation, they send a request to that user for their contact info. If the user approves it, the details are shown.
So like in the Conversation you click 'Address Book' and every user in that conversation comes up in a list. Next to their name, it has a link titled 'Request Contact Information' or something and when you click on that, it sends the user an alert saying like 'Silence has requested your contact information in the conversation WHY IS IT SO COLD OUT?!'. Once they approve the request, the contact information is shown. This way, each conversation is kept private and maybe even allow users to remove previously given access from a conversation.

I understand what you're saying but it sounds much more complex than what I envision. I'm looking to keep it so very simple .....

I understand what you're saying but it sounds much more complex than what I envision. I'm looking to keep it so very simple .....
Oh it would be. Basically you know in XenForo how you can follow someone? It would be essentially that but within a conversation.
Well I was thinking that you wanted everyone to be able to request other peoples addresses (both users must agree of course) or are you the only person who needs the addresses?

Top Bottom