Add option to remove EXIF data from images/attachments (such as GPS data)

nocte

There should be an option to remove EXIF data from images. Leaving things like GPS data can be a serious privacy issue: Many people won't realize that this data is added to their photos and may expose more than they want.

There is an addon from @wmtech that does this for XF1, but has no XF2 equivalent.

A cool feature of this addon is, that the EXIF data can still be accessed by admins.

Upvote 17
I am currently running this:

There is also an option to strip exit data.

I am currently running this:

There is also an option to strip exit data.

Is that just for attachments, though? Or for Media Gallery?

My free add-on "Attachment improvements" implement an option to strip EXIF data (from jpegs);

My free add-on "Attachment improvements" implement an option to strip EXIF data (from jpegs);

Another cracker from @Xon thank you!

My free add-on "Attachment improvements" implement an option to strip EXIF data (from jpegs)

Hmm, I might be wrong but as far as I can see you are stripping the EXIF data by re-saving the image with JPEG quality 100?

If so, i think this approach has several drawbacks:
  • It doesn't work with ImageMagick
  • It might decrease image quality
  • It significantly increases the filesize
Especially the last one seems really serious to me - the size of my test image increased from 2.9 MB to 6.1 MB (GD) / 4.4 MB (ImageMagick); the IM-version even still had the GPS EXIF afterwards.

IMHO this needs to be done without reencoding, eg. by just stripping metadata like it is done by jpegoptim, exiftool, etc.

IMHO this needs to be done without reencoding, eg. by just stripping metadata like it is done by jpegoptim, exiftool, etc.
I don't use IM because it is a buggy & insecure mess, but I didn't realise it was causing the image sizes to increase. I think just stripping the metadata would be saner, but stock php doesn't have anything which does that natively so hopefully a library (like Nocte linked) works well instead

Top Bottom