Lack of interest Add option for 3 column layouts. Sidebar on both sides

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

Brad Padgett

My suggestion is to add an option for basically a 3 column layout where you could have double sidebars. One on each side. Some people would really appreciate this and I know it because no one wants to have a clunky over-ran sidebar. If there was an option to put a side bar on both sides it would also feel more like a portal rather than just a forum. Even if you didn't want to have a portal and only a regular forum it would still give you benefit to possibly be able to use both sides of the forums for different content such as sidebars.

This is just an idea. If it's not planned I understand but in order to adept to different needs users might have, it may be good to consider this as a possibly even in 2.3 if it has to be further off. It's good to have flexibility with the front-end and I know it would give users much more flexibility with how they layout and manage their website.

Also vBulletin did something like this as well a very long time ago. Just recall them implementing this, not to say it would matter.

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Also vBulletin did something like this as well a very long time ago.

They did this before anyone bothered about responsive design. I think a sidebar each side is not so useful these days - what happens on mobiles? Would they both go to the bottom?

I think due to mobile friendliness sidebars are losing their point anyway. Whatever is there needs to be expendable.

You have a point but I still like the thought of having options. Really the idea of the suggestion is to give the user more freedom. I suppose on mobile they would go down to the bottom. Sidebars seem to be good for placing content. 2 sidebars would give you more room. While possibly on the right you might have new posts, most viewed, most liked...etc and on the left you could have a visitor panel and different widgets that had nothing to do with posts themselves. Such as members who just signed up. Recent Members online... etc

Of course most users would be getting the sidebar functionality that would require both sides from add-ons so that could be a take someone else made against the suggestion as well but considering the majority of XF 2 users would have those add-ons to display more content I think it's a good idea.

It's more or less the optional freedom that led me to make the suggestion.

While not fully compatible with a right sidebar, we already have a left column for the sidenav, which definitely would clash with a left sidebar.

Top Bottom