Add more than one discussion tab to [Discussion, Support, Requests, etc]

So in theory, if it's enabled for that category, a user would make a resource and there'd be a new forum node created in the parent node you designate with the name of the resource. For example if I made "[XenMods] Resources Discussion Node" when you clicked the "Discussion" link instead of going to a thread, it'd show a node which would hold a list of threads?

My suggestion was that a Resource item could add their own (Tab + Thread) manually.
Using XF.com as an example, an addon author might add:
(1) a Support thread and Tab
(2) a Wishlist thread and Tab
etc.

Looks like RM 1.1 will allow you to add a Tab easily and a Rich Text field (which sounds similar to a bbcode editable single post).

What if a resource is so big/popular that it warrants many discussion threads, suggestion threads, etc.?
IMO it would be very useful to have multiple threads listed under one tab.

What if within the options it gives the ability to designate a child node or the aforementioned "new node" where in:

Child node: posts new thread in the designated node as already built into the resource manager
New Node: Creates the above mentioned action of a new node for posting. multiple threads?

I think all the ideas above are great. I just don't want to scare off @Daniel Hood now that we have someone seriously considering an assume addition.

Once XenForo gets thread tags(one of the top requests), I hope that a tab can be added with all threads tagged with X.

What if a resource is so big/popular that it warrants many discussion threads, suggestion threads, etc.?
IMO it would be very useful to have multiple threads listed under one tab.
Sure it would be useful. A dropdown or something ? Definitely could be useful.

Another way of accomplishing that would be the Discussion Tab points to a forum. And you could have as many threads as you want.

Or ... as Mike has eluded to ... The Discussion tab could be a Rich Text Field and you can add links to as many threads as you want. Manually that is.

I'm considering doing this and I think the optimal way is to point the Discussion tab to a node instead of a thread. It'll be an option on a per-category basis though. As always with nodes, you may want to hide them so that your forums aren't flooded with sub-forum.

For example of the option per category basis, with XenForo there's New Applications and there's Messages and Threads. A new application is probably going to be big and have a lot of threads. Messages and Threads are just minor tweaks. You would want to select Discussion type: thread for Messages and Threads, while New Applications you would select Discussion type: node.

I'm considering doing this and I think the optimal way is to point the Discussion tab to a node instead of a thread. It'll be an option on a per-category basis though. As always with nodes, you may want to hide them so that your forums aren't flooded with sub-forum.
I like that idea, especially when you want to add many threads.
I'd probably just want to add one or two threads per resource ... so I'd prefer Just to be able to add a Tab or two.

The desire to add more threads to a resource is unlikely to be predicted by category. So per category permissions seem artificial. The way I saw it working was the Resource Authors themselves could decide how many threads they want. For example, if "larger/complicated" addons need more than one thread ... then ... can't every category of addon have a complicated addon ? It depends on the addon (resource) not the category.

I like that idea, especially when you want to add many threads.
I'd probably just want to add one or two threads per resource ... so I'd prefer Just to be able to add a Tab or two.

The desire to add more threads to a resource is unlikely to be predicted by category. So per category permissions seem artificial. The way I saw it working was the Resource Authors themselves could decide how many threads they want. For example, if "larger/complicated" addons need more than one thread ... then ... can't every category of addon have a complicated addon ? It depends on the addon (resource) not the category.

Well the point of giving it a full node is that there is no limit. Instead of having 1, 2, 3 or even 10 automatically generated threads, you get the ability for everyone to create a thread (possibly with prefixes) and everything can be more easily found. Granted you possibly get flooded with sub forums but you can hide them from the node list like I suggested. I think each thread having a tab will result in too many tabs + it won't really help on, eventually, threads being unorganized and hard to find information.

Has this come to light with the latest release or are we looking at lost hopes & dreams? I am still willing to donate to this cause.

Top Bottom