Add a random quote block to the sidebar

Add a random quote block to the sidebar 1.0

No permission to download
Made a few changes to the aesthetics of the quotation box, but so far am not understanding how to deal with the font. Say I just want to use the 11pt Georgia that is the default font size and style being used for posts on xenForo, where would I start?

Made a few changes to the aesthetics of the quotation box, but so far am not understanding how to deal with the font. Say I just want to use the 11pt Georgia that is the default font size and style being used for posts on xenForo, where would I start?
Remove the "WCManoNegraBtaRegular" references from the CSS change.

Now the quotation display is as I want it: similar to as it was under vBulletin 3.x. Awesome. Thank you, Kevin, Ranger, and Brogan. So changed the font to Georgia, put the font size at 100% instead of 180%, put the header in bold, and removed the WCManoNegraBtaRegular references. If anyone is interested in seeing the results, the quotation display is near the bottom of my forum index: http://theinfinityprogram.com/index.php

Oh, also messed with the random_quote code:

Code:
<div class="section">
<div class="secondaryContent">
<h3><b>Featured Quotation</b></h3>
<div class="quotes bq" style="padding-top: 10px; padding-right: 5px;"></div>
</div>
</div>

Brogan, if we wanted to add it into a notice instead of the sidebar, could we simply add the code from Step 4 into a notice instead of new creating a template?

Another excellent addition from Vrogan.

Is it possible to make the quote follow html tags eg bold, color and url manipulation. Ilike users to be able to click the quote and be taken to a page about that quote

How do I add my own custom font?

I notice some file extensions such as .eot, .svg, .tff and .woff in the files. Should I have all of those files when using custom font? The custom font that I have only has the .tff file from those mentioned.

How often does the quote change? Is it once daily and in the same order you put them in the text file?

The reason I ask is I'd like to put something like this on my forum but instead of using quotes, I'd like it to show "this day in history" and show a special event that occurred on that particular day.

Is that possible at all? If not with this add on, is there anything available that might work?

Thanks,

Bob

@bobs409, the quotes are read from a text file per page load and then randomly displays one. For what you're after you'd want something more complex and likely table driven since a 'Day In History' text file could get huge.

@Brogan instead of taking the font from local can I take it from google? in that case can I replace this one
Code:
@font-face {
    font-family: 'WCManoNegraBtaRegular';
    src: url('./data/RandomQuote/WCManoNegraBta-webfont.eot');
    src: local('☺'), url('./data/RandomQuote/WCManoNegraBta-webfont.woff') format('woff'), url('./data/RandomQuote/WCManoNegraBta-webfont.ttf') format('truetype'), url('./data/RandomQuote/WCManoNegraBta-webfont.svg#webfonte6F4DwaZ') format('svg');
}
with this one?
Code:
@font-face {
    font-family: 'Engagement', cursive;
    src: url('http://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Engagement');
}
Sorry for asking but I'm not a dev so I've tu guess what's right...

That should be fine.
I don't actually use this (never have), I just added the resource due to a request.

Top Bottom