Duplicate Add a portal

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Well, assuming @Jaxel lets them. ;)

I think a core portal is a nice idea but I think it would need be highly customizable, maybe more of a framework for building a portal than just an out of box portal. And Xenporta does have that to some degree.

Is it a priority or a nice to have? Latter. We have some nice add-ons for portals right now.

Well, assuming @Jaxel lets them. ;)

I think a core portal is a nice idea but I think it would need be highly customizable, maybe more of a framework for building a portal than just an out of box portal. And Xenporta does have that to some degree.

Is it a priority or a nice to have? Latter. We have some nice add-ons for portals right now.

What do you want from a "portal framework" that can't be achieved with Pages+Widgets?

So far using CinVin Home and widgets has been easy enough for me to put almost anything on our home page.

Back in the olden days we used vBadvanced CMPs with a bunch of widgets, same concept. My 'Wish List' item for XF would be for the guys to offer a stock 'Featured Threads' widget instead of having a lot of us taking different paths to get to the same destination. Personally I borrowed a chunk of code from the XF code demo and made it into a widget using the XF article display options.

This is what I use:

Which is fine, but I like the idea of being able to curate the home page, which that out of box widget-based page doesn't do. That way, I can highlight the more interesting threads and keep things like the endless babble of a certain member that I was discussing in another thread off the front page. A portal add-on gives me that control in a way that simply having the "Latest Posts" and "Latest Threads" show up on the home page does not.

Which is fine, but I like the idea of being able to curate the home page, which that out of box widget-based page doesn't do. That way, I can highlight the more interesting threads and keep things like the endless babble of a certain member that I was discussing in another thread off the front page. A portal add-on gives me that control in a way that simply having the "Latest Posts" and "Latest Threads" show up on the home page does not.

It's exactly what it does. For us, the main widget shows the last X threads that have the "featured" prefix. In that way, we curate exactly what's shown on the homepage. We use the prefix system to control the curation.

It's exactly what it does. For us, the main widget shows the last X threads that have the "featured" prefix. In that way, we curate exactly what's shown on the homepage. We use the prefix system to control the curation.
Interesting approach. We have already paid for Xenporta and my mods are familiar with how to use it, but maybe for my next site. I assume, though, there is still nothing comparable to the feature slider?

There are widgets that can give similart effects but I've never really looked into it that much. I would say supporting the development of a few specific widgets is much cheaper/easier than an entire addon. I really do think the widget approach is the way forward.

Last edited:
This is a duplicate of:

Top Bottom