Add a custom content type builder to the RM

This suggestion is trying to make the RM into a complete CMS... I can see plenty of integration opportunities with RM (ie, a blogs application adding a tab to the RM for resources or a project management application adding a tab for bugs, etc).

The RM is meant to work for resources, and manage them. You want a Jack of all Trades, which will inevitably cause the RM to be bloated, hard to manage, and of lower quality. A wiki-type add-on or a proper question & answer add-on or a blogging add-on, all those require quite a bit of work to do them properly. Trying to get Kier / Mike to code them into the resource manager, properly, for $60 is quite absurd.

I'm sure the resource manager was built with extensibility in mind, so it shouldn't be hard for add-on developers to add in integration for tabs and things as such.

Paying $60 for a complete CMS would be insane. I would gladly pay $1000 for it. :)

But my request does not ask for a complete CMS. Addon developers can indeed extent it into that.
But I do request the basics, by adding a function to plugin a content type or let us build a basic custom content type. (like forms)

This would make the RM a framework, and give the addon community the possibility to further extent it.

I can see the benefit of these suggestions, however would also suggest they would be suited as addons to the rm itself, opposed to rm core.

Paying $60 for a complete CMS would be insane. I would gladly pay $1000 for it. :)

But my request does not ask for a complete CMS. Addon developers can indeed extent it into that.
But I do request the basics, by adding a function to plugin a content type or let us build a basic custom content type. (like forms)

This would make the RM a framework, and give the addon community the possibility to further extent it.
I'm sure the RM is coded extremely similar to XenForo, so, it already is a framework in a sense. Content-Types should be handled by add-ons themselves, or else something will go wrong. If I define a blog Content-Type via your suggestion, any blog add-ons need to assume its going to be in the format they want or need. If it's not, errors will arise. However, if you choose a blog that fits your needs (or can be modified to fit your needs), that add-on can be coded easier because it created and manages the content-type its attempting to use. All the RM actually needs to do to 'support' this, is to properly include hooks that add-on authors can use to add in. And with how extensible the base software is, I'm sure the resource manager will be on par.

Another vote for this. The content type doesn't have to be bloated, it's almost there it seems in the latest RM. If we allow custom fields to be attributed to a category, the next step would be to allow them to be attributed to an object (the content type). It's more about the nomenclature than anything. That way users don't have to add or edit a vanilla resource, but view it as (for example) a resource guide, or recipe, or...

Top Bottom