AdBlock Detected Tracker & Statistics

AdBlock Detected Tracker & Statistics [Paid] v1.4.0

No permission to buy ($15.00)
Yes, that's by design and fits with XF prescribed usergroup usage.

The primary usergroup is usually "registered" for all users of your forum (minus perhaps mods/admins)

Ok, but if I don't allow posting on the "special" usergroup I create for those running adblockers, which permission set would apply? The normal registered group or the secondary "special" group your addon assigns them to?

I think you should do some reading on how Xenforo's layered permissions work. Sounds like maybe you're coming from vBulletin or similar? I'm just guessing, but if so, you should read or re-read: https://xenforo.com/xf2-docs/manual/groups-permissions/

Assuming your AdBlock usergroup is called "AdBlockers" (or whatever), you can remove permissions from AdBlockers by setting "Never" in Xenforo Permissions for the AdBlockers usergroup for whatever permissions you want to negate.

To communicate these changes to AdBlockers you can create Notices that only show to the AdBlockers usergroup.

The above is one method that works.

This is an awesome addon and I'm grateful for it.
We have a fair amount of users complaining that they are experiencing false positives and it takes a bunch of time to let them know when they were last flagged as blocking and with which browser.
Also they ask how long it is before they get their ad blocking flag cleared. (I call it a flag, but it's removal from the adblocker usergroup).
Could I please request that we give them some transparency and, if they have ever been flagged as ad blocking, have a new tab in their user profile which displays
  • their current status (adblocker flag active or not)
  • the last time they were flagged and with which browser
  • how many times they have been flagged and (using the multiplier) the number of page loads needed before they are cleared as not ad blocking. (e.g. perhaps shown as 13 pages loaded of 18 needed).
Thanks

@Stuart Wright thanks for taking the time to post and for the recommendation. I missed your post earlier.

It's a good suggestion and I'll see about making that update. Might take a bit of thinking through but I don't see why it can't be added. Most users like to keep it somewhat "down low", but as an option, it makes good sense.

@Stuart Wright thanks for taking the time to post and for the recommendation. I missed your post earlier.

It's a good suggestion and I'll see about making that update. Might take a bit of thinking through but I don't see why it can't be added. Most users like to keep it somewhat "down low", but as an option, it makes good sense.
Thanks. If your concern is that people don't want other people to see that information, then display it privately in their account?
Maybe as a new option in /account/ ?

Thanks. If your concern is that people don't want other people to see that information, then display it privately in their account?
Maybe as a new option in /account/ ?
Doesn't appear this has (yet?) been implemented? Will it be soon? I have similar concern about it being time consuming for staff to manage user questions about why and when they'll be removed, and not being able to answer it because such information not being available.

Another pre-purchase question ... with subsequent {non}detection movements between the AdBlocker usergroup, how is multiple devices/browsers managed per user? Eg. if a user is not using adblocker on their home PC, but do have adblocker system on their mobile device, how quickly/slowly will this add-on move them in/out of the designated usergroup?

Last pre-purchase question ... does this add-on work with DNS based adblockers? (eg. AdGuard DNS). I'm assume not?

DNS based blockers do not remove ad blocks. So something like auto ads from Google would basically be hard to detect I assume?

I had a question too. I might have missed this going through the thread. Guests are not members so they cannot be added to usergroups. But from what I have seen through the thread, they still get permissions from the designated usergroup if they are detected to be using ad blockers right? How does it work? Cookie based? (I really should read through the thread once again)

I was kind of disappointed that discouraged is not a usergroup permission. I assume if I get this addon, I can limit other features on the board for ad blocking visitors including guests...

I initially was considering the other addon that tries to block access by using a popup message. But those are pretty easy to remove even with constantly changing css classes. I use Poper Blocker myself for this. But permissions based on usergroups seems like something that would be hard to get around if the ad blocking behavior is detected correctly.

Read through the complete thread again and it seems clear now that guests can only be recorded and cannot get assigned different permissions if they are using an ad blocker. Does not meet my requirement. Solid add-on otherwise. Cheers.

yes, i understand that. what i was assuming before i went through the thread was that since guests are being tracked using ip, it could have been possible to somehow use the permission of the ad-block user group at run time for these visitors. it's ok though... (y)

since guests are being tracked using ip, it could have been possible to somehow use the permission of the ad-block user group at run time for these visitors.
NAT, proxies, vpn's, cookie blocking, anti-track native functionality, and moving mobile devices make this sort of tracking/activity so problematic that it's really impossible to trust and implement.

Hello @Wutime,
I'm trying to track down the cause of slowness on AVForums and the slow query logger is throwing up quite a few of these:
  • Exception: Slow query: 1.1527 seconds, /wutime-adblocktracker/449066/0
  • src/addons/SV/SlowQueryLogger/Db/Mysqli/SlowQueryLogAdapter.php:287
  • Generated by: Essoman
  • Oct 6, 2020 at 5:37 PM

Stack trace​

#0 src/XF/Db/Mysqli/Statement.php(108): SV\SlowQueryLogger\Db\Mysqli\SlowQueryLogAdapter->logQueryCompletion()
#1 src/XF/Db/AbstractAdapter.php(94): XF\Db\Mysqli\Statement->execute()
#2 src/XF/Session/DbStorage.php(57): XF\Db\AbstractAdapter->query('
-- XFDB=noF...', Array)
#3 src/XF/Session/Session.php(215): XF\Session\DbStorage->writeSession('_a7d6Pb1O2cbqRr...', Array, 14400, true)
#4 src/XF/Pub/App.php(447): XF\Session\Session->save()
#5 src/XF/App.php(2193): XF\Pub\App->complete(Object(XF\Http\Response))
#6 src/XF.php(391): XF\App->run()
#7 index.php(20): XF::runApp('XF\\Pub\\App')
#8 {main}

Request state​

array(4) {
["url"] => string(31) "/wutime-adblocktracker/449066/0"
["referrer"] => string(81) "https://www.avforums.com/threads/surface-pro-5-8gb-256ssd-windows-10-pro.2317130/"
["_GET"] => array(1) {
["/wutime-adblocktracker/449066/0"] => string(0) ""
}
["_POST"] => array(4) {
["_xfRequestUri"] => string(57) "/threads/surface-pro-5-8gb-256ssd-windows-10-pro.2317130/"
["_xfWithData"] => string(1) "1"
["_xfToken"] => string(8) "********"
["_xfResponseType"] => string(4) "json"
}
}
There are 11 million records in the xf_wutime_adblock_tracker table.
Can anything be done to speed this up, please?
I've had to disable the addon for now.

Last edited:
@Stuart Wright, thanks for bringing this to my attention. For an immediate solution you can clear the all the tracking logs, or, remove all the guest tracking using the "Clear log" feature.

1602018583076.webp

I'll implement an update to use the cron to:
  • automatically clear for records over XX days stale
The above should prevent the table from collecting tens of millions of stale entries

@Stuart Wright you can also, moving forward, disable tracking of guests completely to save building up lots of stale guest tracking.

If you disable the option below I would recommend "Clear log" for "Guests" after unchecking the box below in options.

1602019098311.webp

Thanks for the very quick response.

Question. If I clear the log, will your system still retain information about swap numbers etc? Is this held elsewhere? Or will it get reset?

Could I please suggest that the Clear process use Xenforo's standard method for displaying record numbers when processing many records?
Currently there is no way to know whether the process has hung.

Last edited:
If you disable the option below I would recommend "Clear log" for "Guests" after unchecking the box below in options.
Did this and most of the records were deleted leaving just 57,000. So 99.5% of the records were from guests.
If you're doing an update then considering my suggestion in post #103 above would be appreciated (y)

Did this and most of the records were deleted leaving just 57,000. So 99.5% of the records were from guests.
If you're doing an update then considering my suggestion in post #103 above would be appreciated (y)

I read post #103 and will look to include in a future update. Thanks for the recommendation.

As well as deleting stale guest records XX days old.

@Stuart Wright be sure to optimize the xf_wutime_adblock_tracker database table after. I noticed when I cleared the guest data the table was still reporting to be a very large size (in excess of 1GB), after optimizing it's now reporting less than 20mb.

@Wutime ...may want to add that table optimization to data purging and your cron job whenever you update the add-on.

Top Bottom