ACP record installations of PWA for Statistics

frm

It would be nice if the ACP could show active installations of PWA in the statistics section so that admins are aware of how popular apps really are (to later determine if they want to develop a real app that can get included in all the stores as one example of how it could be read).

Upvote 11
I don't believe it's possible to track installing a PWA. One thing you can do is add a UTM tag on to the end of your PWA URL to track its usage via analytics though.

I don't believe it's possible to track installing a PWA. One thing you can do is add a UTM tag on to the end of your PWA URL to track its usage via analytics though.
If it shows "Install" in the pop-out menu, it should be able to determine that the specific member does not have it installed and send it back to the server (somehow) reporting that it's inactive. When it disappears, the browser knows it's installed, thus it should send back that it has been installed, and is essentially 'active', or at least count it as 1 install and remove it later if the user logs back in the same fashion and sees that they don't have it installed (but perhaps, a different device, adding again if they install once more... perhaps creating a log of users that install it [multiple times]).

Correct me if I'm wrong on if this is achievable though.

I just noticed that the pop-out menu appears to recognize guests (whether registered and logged out or new visitors). It would be nice to also report an install from a guest, i.e., they click it, it installs, and the next page they visit (unless it can't be done live on the current page without entering the app itself) reports back to the server that it was installed by a guest (and their IP).

If feasible, it would report the guest's IP address so that the log A guest (XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX) has installed the PWA could be added to that guest (XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX) has logged in as [member] and has the PWA installed, also adding it to the user's information of installations (instances or whatnot).

Where is the pop out menu with the PWA? Sorry, have not tried 2.4 much yet.
If you have the app installed here (only for Android), uninstall it first. Then, you'll see the notification in the pop out menu.

Screenshot_20200822-111034_Chrome.jpg

Install it and then that notification goes away, meaning somehow it can detect that it's installed (potentially by whom) and report it back for statistics.

Installed (but currently only goes away on page load and doesn't gather it's installed right away):

Screenshot_20200822-111333_Chrome.webp

Nice one, thank you. I am on iOS and don't see that. I believe I am right in saying it's not possible to track installs on iOS but looks like it is on Android. Interesting! Will look in to a way of adding those UTM params on 2.4 to track usage at least.

Nice one, thank you. I am on iOS and don't see that. I believe I am right in saying it's not possible to track installs on iOS but looks like it is on Android. Interesting! Will look in to a way of adding those UTM params on 2.4 to track usage at least.
Yes, PWA is only for Android (for now, unless Apple introduces standardization of it [likely not]). But having this information and applying it to the Analytics of both users (Android/iOS) could help determine whether it's financially in the best interest of a forum owner to pay and develop an app that can be in the Play Store alongside Apple's App Store.

As to why if it's a possibility to track in the ACP (I'm liking your UTM suggestion if possible) is even better as it can track which members installed it as well, giving even more data to see if it's worthwhile as we can see if old members are doing it over new and vice-versa (as well as taking submitted age into account, etc.).

Top Bottom