Account activation reminder: email new member x days after registration to remind them to activate

CTXMedia

A system generated email that is sent to newly registered members who have not activated their user account in x no. days (x being a value between 1 to 30 days).

The email could be the same as the initial activation email and/or a template-based custom message created by the site owner (with a different subject line).

Basically an automated "bump" for those people who've either forgotten they've registered, or who have missed the initial email or it's been junked, etc.

Cheers,
Shaun :D

Last edited:
Upvote 18
I used to send a manual email reminder after two weeks and then delete the account after a further two weeks.

Now I can't be bothered and just delete all accounts at the end of the month which haven't confirmed :D

I used to send a manual email reminder after two weeks and then delete the account after a further two weeks.
Now I can't be bothered and just delete all accounts at the end of the month which haven't confirmed :D

That's the entire reason activation reminders can, and should be automated. Apparently you are not paying for customer acquisition i.e. facebook ads sign up, and the forum you run is not profitable, because what you just described would be the equivalent of burning money on our site.

We send emails to all users that are awaiting email confirmation and direct them to the /account-confirmation/resend page. People confirm all the time after we send it, although it would be better if we could just bulk resend the confirmation link to everyone.

Our VB forum did this automatically (with an add on I think) and I strongly believe this is an important function of any forum. We're paying to get users on our site, so we don't think the absence of this function which would certainly increase the percentage of users is a laughing matter. Hope @Mike will consider adding this in the future.

I support this since it can increase user retention rates but worry about handling emails that have bounced because the email address doesn't exist (which can explain why they didn't activate). It wouldn't be wise to send the email again since it just racks up a higher bounce rate.

I support this since it can increase user retention rates but worry about handling emails that have bounced because the email address doesn't exist (which can explain why they didn't activate). It wouldn't be wise to send the email again since it just racks up a higher bounce rate.

Ideally, you would have setup XF's bounced email handler. :)

I agree with the OP's idea. I'm doing what Brogan does currently.

Ideally, you would have setup XF's bounced email handler. :)

Exactly, the bounce email handler takes care of the bad registrations. Obviously people willing to just delete sign ups are not used to "the grind" of building a customer base AND they are not paying to get visitors on the site. I will manually verify someone if necessary, and did so tonight after sending an email out to all the unconfirmed email addresses and getting a response back. Heck, I've even went in and corrected typos in email addresses like @Gmial.com to @gmail.com :) Gotta grind if you don't want to be like everyone else, because everyone else takes the easy path.....

Last edited:
Top Bottom