Lack of interest Ability to quote from locked threads

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
At the moment I believe that the ability to reply to and quote locked threads is vested in the "Lock / unlock threads" forum moderator permission.

I agree that it might be useful to have the option of allowing certain usergroups to quote locked threads independently of the lock/unlock permission for moderators.

Naturally, this would require multiquote to be enabled - since "reply" in a locked thread doesn't make sense if you don't have the ability to bypass the thread lock like the moderators with the above mentioned permission do.

I'm not sure I would enable that on my sites - but threads do get locked for many reasons, not only because they are problematic - sometimes it's just because they are old. Quoting an existing post in an old locked thread to start a new discussion is a perfectly reasonable use-case in my opinion.

It's almost like we need another setting for closing threads. "Locked" vs "Locked and nobody can quote posts" ... I would use the former for old threads and the latter for problematic threads.

This would be useful. On occasion I've quoted something (usually for reference to someone else) from one of the Announcement threads or other information threads that are locked. Due to you not being able to properly quote, you either just have to just use the standard quote tags and then post a link back, or manually recreate the quote (which is possible but fiddly as you have to find the post number and member number to do this). So being able to say use the multiquote system to be able to do this would be handy.

Top Bottom