Ability to create an album without uploading content

TPerry

I recently tried to create some personal albums that I will eventually use, but I have no content for them... seems that there is NOT a way to create those user albums unless you have existing content to upload?
What I was trying to do was prepare my personal album to have an area for
Deep Sky Objects
Solar System Objects
Other images

But without media to add, it won't let me create the album? I have every permission checked that I can find in the ACP for my account.

I may be overlooking a setting, and if so would appreciate it being pointed out.. if I am missing no setting, this ability would be nice for we anal-retentive types that would like to get our user albums configured early.

Last edited:
Upvote 5
Users can create as many albums as they want, I don't see a number restriction in the permissions.
But can you create those albums WITHOUT CONTENT?

Similar to how you can create the forum nodes in the ACP with no content.

And we are talking user specific albums, when you go to "My Albums". I have EVERY permission set that I can... but I have yet to find how to simply create an album in my personal area with no content. You have an Add Media button, but nowhere (even in the drop downs) do I see a Create Album(s) option.

Please feel free to show me how to do so.. so far I have NOT found it.
These are the options I see

Screen Shot 2022-08-24 at 7.32.03 AM.webp

Even moving an image to an album is cumbersome. This should be able to list ANY album that I have access to, instead of asking for a URL.

Screen Shot 2022-08-24 at 7.34.28 AM.png

Last edited:
That's true, you can't create a personal album without content.
But why would a user want to do that ? And how would it look on the albums page with empty albums ? And what about an albums widget that would display empty albums ?

It all seems pretty logical to me... If you need to create an album, you have content to put on it. 🤷‍♂️

But you can always work around this by creating an album with only one content then deleting this content, the album will persist.

That's true, you can't create a personal album without content.
But why would a user want to do that ? And how would it look on the albums page with empty albums ? And what about an albums widget that would display empty albums ?

Maybe because some of us are anal retentive and would like to have a personal album structure layout already present to upload directly to?
It simply saves time for future uploads to have your structure already present.

And there is a phrase that I won't repeat for your solution.. and it is not an efficient nor friendly solution. Look at the first line of my sig and think "redneck engineering". ;)

That's why this is called a suggestion area.... if others agree that it would be beneficial instead of having to wait until the last minute to set up your album, then it will get votes (or people won't give a crap most likely and won't upvote, not caring about making it easier on the end user). You have to think of it from the end user perspective. You and I are familiar with how it works.. but the end user may simply want to get his albums all set up for the 100's of images he will upload that deal with different "topics".

In fact, the reason I brought it up was one of my users was asking about it.. he said it was, and I quote, "Ass backwards" to have to upload content to create the specific albums". Apparently he's somewhat organized.

And let's not even GO to the point you have to use a URL for the album instead of being given a choice of available albums.

Last edited:
And there is a phrase that I won't repeat for your solution.. and it is not an efficient nor friendly solution. Look at the first line of my sig and think "redneck engineering".
If you and your users preferred to wait until eventually your suggestion is accepted and implemented (which could take many months) rather than temporarily use a workaround then perhaps it is not so important.

But i wish you the best :)

If you and your users preferred to wait until eventually your suggestion is accepted and implemented (which could take many months) rather than temporarily use a workaround then perhaps it is not so important.

But i wish you the best :)
You miss the WHOLE point of a suggestion thread I see.. I'm WELL aware of how it works now... that is why the suggestion on why it should work a more efficient way.

Last edited:
Top Bottom