A Wiki for documentation for developers, webmasters, moderators, end users

Alpha1

What I miss in XenForo is documentation. It would be really useful if there would be a manual for end users, one for staff, developer documentation and more documentation for webmasters.

A lot can be found scattered through the forums and resource manager, but due to the nature of forums this is hard to find and not organized in a logical manner.

What has worked wonders for documentation on my big board, is a wiki. Because all members (with permission) can add to chapters of a specific manual. For XenForo.com this would mean that the XF community could start creating a moderator manuals, end user manuals, etc as community efforts.
The writing task is outsourced to the community. Because members do not have to submit whole articles this grows much faster. And as many webmaster already need to provide instructions to members and staff, its easy to share that to a wiki.

I think there is significant benefit in having more documentation available. And a wiki would be an easy way to do this.
I know this suggestion will probably result in negative reaction because there is no wiki function in xenforo. But I think its a useful suggestion so here you go. I will leave in the middle if the solution is a official wiki function, an XF addon or Wikimedia.

This sounds like a great idea and while an official one with support from the XF team would be idea, I'm not certain that's even necessary and a community-led effort should be just as effective.

Top Bottom