A step by step guide to a new install on cPanel

Rambro

Can anyone help me with one of these please? My host installed it for me the first time and now its gotten screwed up by an add-on. And some of my own attempts to fix it. And now my host's gone awol and I have no clue how to reinstall this thing. I honestly wouldn't know a root folder from my elbow, or a database from my *******. If someone could please help me go over the basics, and do it in a way that someone with NO experience could understand, I would be very greatly appreciative.

I think I have the first few steps down:

1)Log in to cPanel
2) Open the File Manager
3) Upload the zip
4)Unpack the zip and move ALL the files and folders from within the upload folder to the /home/domain folder. So it would look like this:

/home/domain
entirety of xenforo upload folder

Its after this that I've no clue.

Rambro

So I delete everything out of my /home/domain folder. Then I upload the xenforo install to replace it. But when I point my browser to domain/install, it just gives me a "domain - error" and does nothing.

And even with my files all deleted, my forum still seems to work and run like it did before. ???
http://xenforo.com/help/installation/

In addition you will also need to create the database - log in to phpMyAdmin and create it from there.
Give it a name and also a user and password for connecting to the database.

Here's a guide for localhost which should help: http://xenforo.com/community/resources/how-to-install-xenforo-locally-to-your-pc-using-xampp.355/
Thanks Brogan. I'll work my way through your instructions using the mac software from the discussion thread in your resource. I looked at phpMyAdmin and I have NO CLUE what the hell all that is.

I'm a bit new at this...

Rambro

Its apparently working. I can't install any add-ons properly. And I f-ed around with the files trying to install backups and a new install of xenforo. So I just want to start it from scratch. This way, I'll know how to do it. I obviously can't rely on my so-called 'managed' host for any sort of help. I should have done it myself, but he offered, so I figured "what the hell?"

DFI

Its been years using Xenforo and I have installed and uninstalled various add-on on my cpanel.

Now, I am trying to remove all unwanted files from cpanel but hesitating that I might end up deleting some installation file.

is there a screenshot of the list of files details which are present when XF is freshly installed. It will help me identifying the thrash and their safe deletion.

Brogan

XenForo moderator
Staff member
is there a screenshot of the list of files details which are present when XF is freshly installed.
Download a new full copy from your customer account and unzip it.
The only other files in addition to what are listed are src/config.php and internal_data/install-lock.php, which are generated during installation.

Reactions: DFI