1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A step by step guide to a new install on cPanel

Discussion in 'Installation, Upgrade, and Import Support' started by Rambro, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Rambro

Rambro Well-Known Member

Can anyone help me with one of these please? My host installed it for me the first time and now its gotten screwed up by an add-on. And some of my own attempts to fix it. And now my host's gone awol and I have no clue how to reinstall this thing. I honestly wouldn't know a root folder from my elbow, or a database from my *******. If someone could please help me go over the basics, and do it in a way that someone with NO experience could understand, I would be very greatly appreciative.

I think I have the first few steps down:

1)Log in to cPanel
    2) Open the File Manager
    3) Upload the zip
    4)Unpack the zip and move ALL the files and folders from within the upload folder to the /home/domain folder. So it would look like this:

/home/domain
    entirety of xenforo upload folder

Its after this that I've no clue.

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

3. Rambro

Rambro Well-Known Member

So I delete everything out of my /home/domain folder. Then I upload the xenforo install to replace it. But when I point my browser to domain/install, it just gives me a "domain - error" and does nothing.

And even with my files all deleted, my forum still seems to work and run like it did before. ???
    Thanks Brogan. I'll work my way through your instructions using the mac software from the discussion thread in your resource. I looked at phpMyAdmin and I have NO CLUE what the hell all that is.

I'm a bit new at this...

4. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Is your forum currently working?
    Or is it completely dead/corrupt/deleted?

5. Rambro

Rambro Well-Known Member

Its apparently working. I can't install any add-ons properly. And I f-ed around with the files trying to install backups and a new install of xenforo. So I just want to start it from scratch. This way, I'll know how to do it. I obviously can't rely on my so-called 'managed' host for any sort of help. I should have done it myself, but he offered, so I figured "what the hell?"

6. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member