a question and a comment

DWFII

Question...

Can Xenforo display inline video such as attached wmv clips or embedded Youtube videos?

My comment is this...and please, this is not a rant or a criticism of anyone...

I initiated a demo this morning and the thing that struck me right off the bat was that the graphics in the Admin Control panel seem a little juvenile. It's almost like "clippy" that Microsoft tried to shove down our throats.

I drilled down just barely far enough to see some real power in the administrative controls but the graphics in that opening screen made me think that there was a lack of professionalism here. And that makes/made me a little nervous contemplating a move to Xenforo.

Anyway that's just my
2cents.gif
(opinion).

And despite that, when (if) I get some input on converting a Discusware forum to XF, I might be strongly inclined.

It might. Would members have to install Silverlight on their computers to see an uploaded wmv?

I'm not entirely sure. It would be best waiting for someone who is familiar and uses this add-on or contact Jaxel (author) and send him any queries you may have. I don't have this installed so can't really say if it requires what you want it to do to your exact specifications.

Got it. Thank you.
Are there any mods to allow the display of .wvm or .avi files?

Welcome to the site.

You don't want avi files....even if you do....you don't...it is just bad. They are not for webpages...they are for watching on your native desktop player.

Ultimately you don't want to embed any video into your pages that require browser plugins when you can avoid it. It is annoying and causes people not to watch often times....me being one of those people.

You need to convert your avi videos on your local computer, and while you are at it you should convert your wmv as well...best bet being to go with mp4 or flv...I favor the first but that is just me...but both will display on all browsers and mp4 files will also playback on iOS which flash videos won't

To convert videos serverside you need to install ffmpeg and get crafty or get someone to make you an addon to do it. Also unless you have a pretty nice server....you shouldn't worry about this because if you go crazy converting all sorts of videos you are going to crush your average server especially if you made this ability available to more than yourself.

the graphics in that opening screen made me think that there was a lack of professionalism here. .
Opening screen? As in, when you type your username/password? That is one of my favorite things about xenForo.

Seeing the opening never gets old for me. Some sweet technology, awesome coding that one.

Question...

Can Xenforo display inline video such as attached wmv clips or embedded Youtube videos?

My comment is this...and please, this is not a rant or a criticism of anyone...

I initiated a demo this morning and the thing that struck me right off the bat was that the graphics in the Admin Control panel seem a little juvenile. It's almost like "clippy" that Microsoft tried to shove down our throats.

I drilled down just barely far enough to see some real power in the administrative controls but the graphics in that opening screen made me think that there was a lack of professionalism here. And that makes/made me a little nervous contemplating a move to Xenforo.

Anyway that's just my
2cents.gif
(opinion).

And despite that, when (if) I get some input on converting a Discusware forum to XF, I might be strongly inclined.

I personally like the icons in the admincp they convey a unique character and feel about it but as with everything in xenforo it's easy to customize and replace the imagery with your own imagery/preference. Personally, i'd never dream of changing the icons but this is just merely my preference.

Top Bottom