A forum about Backyard BBQ https://bbqlove.net

I’m in to the BBQ scene and read through some of the posts/ articles but noticed the thumbnail images when clicked to see full image lead me to a 404 page? Also really help in the future to get some of the tasty articles and forums images in a forum block/widget. You can have the Blog button be the home and even rename Blog to Home if that was your intention. Might also want to look into fixing the YouTube widget as it seems to protrude out past the widget border in the blog section.

Another new forum, must be an exciting moment for you. Looks alright for a beginner but needs work as @shimshady has pointed out. Make it stand out as at the moment, it just looks like another UI.X forum.

thumbnail images when clicked to see full image lead me to a 404 page?
I think I have that fixed now. I have had to disable/ renable and redo images when some add ons happened and Themehouse wanted me to troubleshoot.

I have a slew of media included Tasty that will be embedded into the Viral Videos section. Stay tuned.
https://bbqlove.net/forum/index.php?forums/viral-bbq-videos.10/

Might also want to look into fixing the YouTube widget as it seems to protrude out past the widget border in the blog section.
Thanks for bringing this up. I let Theme House know about it. I have the Xpress add on. They said they have a handle on it. I can also band aide it by making the embedded videos smaller.

Last edited:
If there’s one thing that really catches my attention it’s the amount of “stuff” you've got going on. I personally would recommend trimming it down and really focusing on doing one thing REALLY well. Less is more. Also take a look at the options you offer to “share” your articles. With like 10+ options listed with every article it’s taking up a ton of space. Offer just the main ones and maybe add more as you grow......and I stress the word maybe. ;)

If there’s one thing that really catches my attention it’s the amount of “stuff” you've got going on. I personally would recommend trimming it down and really focusing on doing one thing REALLY well. Less is more. Also take a look at the options you offer to “share” your articles. With like 10+ options listed with every article it’s taking up a ton of space. Offer just the main ones and maybe add more as you grow......and I stress the word maybe. ;)
This is very good advice! I started to feel the same. I took away the node descriptions in the list view. I think I can trim down trending and new posts. Also being a new forum, I don't know how much of the statistics to make public since I wouldn't want to scare anyone away thinking its too bare.

Another good point on the share options. I think people know how to copy links, use to email, I have never used Tumblr, Twitter in my view is empty, along with Google +. I have a Pinterest plugin on my blog but I don't think the 'P' is showing up on the images in the forum. I will look into it more if I need another add on for the forum for the Pinterest Pin. Pinterest has been good to me.

The less is more is so true. It is a demon that I struggle with in all aspects of my life.

It’s hard as you’re first starting as you’re excited about all the new “toys” you’ve got. Quickly looking it appears your videos are about the same. I opened one on pulled pork and proceeded to watch you spend about 3 minutes applying seasoning to the meat. In all honesty I would of expected the hole video to take about that long.
Steve Jobs said:
Simple can be harder than complex: You have to work hard to get your thinking clean to make it simple. But it’s worth it in the end because once you get there, you can move mountains.

One plus I see on your site is your energy and enjoyment of the topic. That will help you a ton. If you’re not enjoying what you’re talking about you will quit quickly.

Last edited:
In all honesty I would of expected the hole video to take about that long.
You quickly found my most "less is more" demon.
I took some time off like a sabbatical practicing, experimenting, learning etc on the video production, post production, delivery. While I do enjoy making these video's I know I have more experience to gather (and I will) I think you will watch a nice progression over time in the future.

But another main reason I am attracted to forums is because I don't want it to be all about me and my outputs. I like the idea of others joining and sharing their BBQ Love also.

I think this is a great idea for a forum but as other have stated it needs work.

Things I don't like:
The logo/header definitely needs work. Your favicon is good, why not use the same one for your logo?
You need more towards the bbq theme maybe with flames for your node icons etc
When you click home link it doesnt highlight the home link
The home page is not well laid out or professional looking - with some tweaking this could be awesome.

Things I like:
The name and concept
The blog section - how have you achieved this? I'd like to do something similar for seo

Good luck and keep at it, persistence is half the battle!

Hey @ak38 much thanks for taking the time and giving me a constructive look and direction!
The logo/header definitely needs work. Your favicon is good, why not use the same one for your logo?
I hear ya. I just recently whipped up the current one from an original I had. I setup with height and width based on what image Facebook uses when you share a link. There are lots of XF posts with no images or only embeded videos. Instead of no image for the link, it will use one, and it seems to use the default logo. See here in this Facebook Post linking the XF post for what I am shooting for. Just recently made this as a test.

You need more towards the bbq theme maybe with flames for your node icons etc
I agree. Sort of overwhelmed with the read and unread icon. Shy of making the creative decision.

When you click home link it doesnt highlight the home link
I know, and it is a big unhappy face for me right now. This has been reported to Themehouse as I am using their UIX Theme and Xpress Add on. They acknowledged the issue and said it will be worked on.

The home page is not well laid out or professional looking - with some tweaking this could be awesome.
I hear ya. By default it was using the Blog Posts as the home page. I wanted a dedicated Page. It is ugly. My vision is to get some slider images on some topics. I will be diving into my Wordpress Pagebuilder to add in widgets.
Things I like:
The name and concept
The blog section - how have you achieved this? I'd like to do something similar for seo
Thanks. This is what attracted me to Themehouse Xpress Add on.

Top Bottom