A few questions, considering migrating from vBulletin.

I've used vBulletin on the internets on various forums for probably 20 years now. It's always been my preferred forum to use as not just a user but as an admin/owner. Recently my little website vBulletin 4.2 had a malware infestation and after paying for GoDaddy's monitoring and removal tool to get rid of it, it's damaged the tables and scripts (quick reply went from missing only on phones in desktop mode to being completely gone on both desktop and mobile, toolbar in text box is missing now, etc). I was suggested by someone to look into Xenforo. My previous experience with Xenforo was using it only on tenniswarehouse's official forum. They switched to Xenforo after being vBulletin since they first had a forum and I never liked how bland it looked.

But now that I've used the demo mode it's allowed me to dig in a bit and toy with the aesthetics and I like it a lot more than I did previously.

Anyhow I have a few questions about aesthetics/features more than anything. The website I have is a small baseball forum but the community's been together for 20 years (6 on this current vbulletin site we're at).
--------------------

On my vbulletin site, I added a 3rd party thanks extension/add-on and my users have been accumulating thanks for the past 6 years. I noticed from playing around a bit on here that you can have a bunch of "reactions" which is cool. Now obviously the reaction system on Xenforo is different, but is there any way I as an admin can manually input their reactions total in once everyone migrates over? Would hate for all of my community to have to start over completely. I don't mind putting them in individually because I know it won't transfer over.

2) Is there anyway to add profile/post statistics in the sidebar near the username/avatar like on VB? Maybe I didn't see an option to turn it on in the admin cp, but is there perhaps an add-on for this?

Currently the stats shown on my site are:
Thanks Given:
Thanks Received:
POTW Nominations:

3) I tried adding a 3rd party Post of the Week Nomination. Is there an add-on for this that I can take a look at?

4) Is there anyway to create a separate block so that the stickied posts are clearly divided away from the non-stickied? My current VB site has the stickied posts in its own box then there's a gap between it and the regular unstickied threads. This is one of the things that I would like to alter with xenforo is other than the thumbtack there is no way to differentiate the stickied and unstickied. If there was a way to make the border around the stickied threads thicker to visually separate it from the rest I would be fine with that too.

5) I noticed when viewing this forum in desktop mode on my phone, the forum descriptions when viewing the main index actually appear (since you can't hover over it with a mouse on your phone). Is there a way to keep the forum descriptions there instead of hover over it? Not a deal breaker just have had the ones on the VB there forever.

6) Can forums get a custom icon/image/avatar in place of the chat bubble (when viewing the entire forum directory in the index)? Also, I can remove what emoticons I don't want to be used and add my own? On my forum we like to make new emoticons from memes and baseball player reactions.

7) Assuming youtube links are automatically converted when posted to video player? How about tweets? Or do I need an add-on for that.

8) I think that about covers it. I may also be willing pay someone if anyone here can do the migration for me from vbulletin once I buy the xenforo license. I installed vbulletin myself 6 years ago, and trying to upgrade has been a nightmare since something went wrong atm and I'm waiting on VB's support to fix it. I have godaddy hosting so hopefully xenforo is compatible with it.

On my vbulletin site, I added a 3rd party thanks extension/add-on and my users have been accumulating thanks for the past 6 years. I noticed from playing around a bit on here that you can have a bunch of "reactions" which is cool. Now obviously the reaction system on Xenforo is different, but is there any way I as an admin can manually input their reactions total in once everyone migrates over? Would hate for all of my community to have to start over completely. I don't mind putting them in individually because I know it won't transfer over.

Yes.

AdminCP >> Search for users >> {user name} >> Profile info >> Reaction score

2) Is there anyway to add profile/post statistics in the sidebar near the username/avatar like on VB? Maybe I didn't see an option to turn it on in the admin cp, but is there perhaps an add-on for this?

Currently the stats shown on my site are:
Thanks Given:
Thanks Received:
POTW Nominations:

Yes. AdminCP >> Appearance >> Style Properties >> {select your style} >> Messages >> User >> Message user info elements

3) I tried adding a 3rd party Post of the Week Nomination. Is there an add-on for this that I can take a look at?
I'm not aware of one but it may well exist. If not. you can request it.

4) Is there anyway to create a separate block so that the stickied posts are clearly divided away from the non-stickied?

Yes. This may be style-dependent though: AdminCP >> Appearance >> Style Properties >> {select your custom style} >> Discussion List >> Sticky divider

If your custom style doesn't have this property, there are several addons that will do it or you can add a few lines of CSS in the extra.less template.

5) I noticed when viewing this forum in desktop mode on my phone, the forum descriptions when viewing the main index actually appear (since you can't hover over it with a mouse on your phone). Is there a way to keep the forum descriptions there instead of hover over it? Not a deal breaker just have had the ones on the VB there forever.

AdminCP >> Appearance >> Style Properties >> {select style} >> Node/forum list >> Description display style

6) Can forums get a custom icon/image/avatar in place of the chat bubble (when viewing the entire forum directory in the index)? Also, I can remove what emoticons I don't want to be used and add my own? On my forum we like to make new emoticons from memes and baseball player reactions.

Yes with an addon

7) Assuming youtube links are automatically converted when posted to video player? How about tweets? Or do I need an add-on for that.

Handled automatically by Insert media in the editor.

8) I think that about covers it. I may also be willing pay someone if anyone here can do the migration for me from vbulletin once I buy the xenforo license. I installed vbulletin myself 6 years ago, and trying to upgrade has been a nightmare since something went wrong atm and I'm waiting on VB's support to fix it. I have godaddy hosting so hopefully xenforo is compatible with it.

I have done that several times. PM me.

Yes.

AdminCP >> Search for users >> {user name} >> Profile info >> Reaction score

Yes. AdminCP >> Appearance >> Style Properties >> {select your style} >> Messages >> User >> Message user info elements

I'm not aware of one but it may well exist. If not. you can request it.

Yes. This may be style-dependent though: AdminCP >> Appearance >> Style Properties >> {select your custom style} >> Discussion List >> Sticky divider

If your custom style doesn't have this property, there are several addons that will do it or you can add a few lines of CSS in the extra.less template.

AdminCP >> Appearance >> Style Properties >> {select style} >> Node/forum list >> Description display style

Yes with an addon

Handled automatically by Insert media in the editor.

I have done that several times. PM me.

It's not letting me PM you. I went to your profile and there's no option to do it. I know xenforo is usually "conversations" and I don't see that either.

Top Bottom