A few questions before I commit to purchase

Fluff E Bunny

Hi there, first some background on our board. We originally were on vBulletin 3, then moved to IPBoard. We had over 1 million posts at that point, then lost our database (long story). We moved to new hosting an decided to go with MyBB, and that's where we are currently, with over a quarter million posts in a year.

My concern with MyBB is the general slowness of updates (you get what you pay for), and the lack of decent mobile support...no responsive UI, and Tapatalk is...not great. So I am considering a move to another platform, and am open to paid software.

So, here are my questions:

• I noticed there is a MyBB importer, but I see that it is listed as 'in beta' in the help doc. I also see that you are getting close to releasing a v1.3. Is there a time-frame for the current imported to be 'released', and will there be a built-in MyBB importer for v1.3?
  • For banned users, is it possible to allow them to log in, but be restricted to specific forum(s)? It appears XF uses a similar all-or-nothing ban system, like IPB. We hated that system with a passion. Instead, we like having the ability to allow banned users to discuss their ban with the mod staff. (We also let paid subscribers read the banned user forum for entertainment). With MyBB, this is easy, since banning is simply governed by group membership, rather than flag.
  • For reported posts system, is it possible to allow quoting of comments on reports in other report comments (ie, just treat it the same way as a thread, with the full post editor available)? I assume it could be done with template changes (how we did it for IPB), but would like confirmation. Our moderation staff discuss every report, and the conversations can get involved. It is easier to deal with with post quoting.

For MyBB, we currently use a plugin to create a post in a special restricted forum that we can then discuss the reported content in. As mentioned, MyBB banning is done via group restriction, not flag, so we can easily restrict banned users to just one forum where they can talk about their ban (with their posts requiring approval even there). The biggest thing is not losing our backlog of posts again, so we need rock solid importation.

Thanks!

The MyBB importer is currently marked as beta but it works.
It is just marked as beta in case of any bugs, before it is declared stable.

Banned users are completely banned from the board. There is no way to change that behaviour.
You could set up a warning action and user group with access to all forums revoked, apart from the one you want.

You can assign a forum for reports, where a thread will be created for each report.

Ah, cool, I did not see a report forum option when I was rooting around. The warning action may be a good workaround...a soft ban.

Is there a time-table for v1.3 release? If I convert, I'd prefer to do it against the latest and greatest, rather than have to turn around and do an upgrade soon after.

Thanks for the quick answer!

1.3 will be rolled out here first before being made available as a public beta but as it's the holiday period it won't happen before January.
I couldn't really say when it will be available exactly.

Upgrading is very simple, so don't let that put you off.

I've converted multiple boards from MyBB without any issue at all. :)
My Linux site converted fine (except for the 216 gallery avatars I had to copy over for the avatar add-on for xenForo). Just a little bit of User Group cleanup was required and then going and replacing the old BBcode for the smileys to reflect the new codes.

Banned users are completely banned from the board. There is no way to change that behaviour.
You could set up a warning action and user group with access to all forums revoked, apart from the one you want.
@Fluff E Bunny, the above is what I do on all my boards. I don't use the built in ban feature but just assign them to a custom user group that only has the ability to post in one area (that you can't see unless you are in that banned user group - I named it "I Misbehaved" :LOL: ).

Unless you have a custom theme than it can become a pain when updating templates. (Which is the same with myBB)
Depends on what you classify as "custom". Neither my Antiquark (which I have a customized style of) by @Audentio or xenFoogle Pro (also a customized child style) by pixelExit required any more than merging the changes on the recent upgrade to 1.2.4. (y)

@Fluff E Bunny, the above is what I do on all my boards. I don't use the built in ban feature but just assign them to a custom user group that only has the ability to post in one area (that you can't see unless you are in that banned user group - I named it "I Misbehaved" :LOL: ).

Good to hear. Our moderation staff absolutely hated the all or nothing ban system of IPB. We felt like it actually lead to more users creating circ accounts to get around the bans, which just meant more work for us. We hate working ;)

Depends on what you classify as "custom". Neither my Antiquark (which I have a customized style of) by @Audentio or xenFoogle Pro (also a customized child style) by pixelExit required any more than merging the changes on the recent upgrade to 1.2.4. (y)
If you style your own than :)
Is there by any chance a multi-quote feature like in MyBB? I would have preferred to respond to the above posts with just one post.
Yup just like this
Not yet.

However, just click on Reply for each post and the content will be added to the editor.
Hi Hi

If you style your own than :)
Merge feature should work the same no matter if it is a one off created by yourself. The upgrade that I performed prompted me to perform merges in both all the styles necessary that I had installed (even the custom one I am working on - which is not a child of any other style).

Top Bottom