Current Time: Tuesday, 01-Oct-2013 22:45:42 EDT
Restart Time: Tuesday, 01-Oct-2013 21:00:02 EDT
Parent Server Generation: 1
Server uptime: 1 hour 45 minutes 40 seconds
Total accesses: 14390 - Total Traffic: 82.9 MB
CPU Usage: u53.71 s8.8 cu0 cs0 - .986% CPU load
2.27 requests/sec - 13.4 kB/second - 5.9 kB/request
1 requests currently being processed, 9 idle workers

I think I know what the problem is. It's with Apache and mod_ruid2.

Code:
[Tue Oct 01 19:32:44 2013] [emerg] (13)Permission denied: couldn't grab the accept mutex
[Tue Oct 01 19:32:44 2013] [alert] Child 6115 returned a Fatal error... Apache is exiting!
[Tue Oct 01 19:32:44 2013] [emerg] (43)Identifier removed: couldn't grab the accept mutex
[Tue Oct 01 19:32:44 2013] [emerg] (43)Identifier removed: couldn't grab the accept mutex
[Tue Oct 01 19:32:45 2013] [emerg] (22)Invalid argument: couldn't grab the accept mutex
[Tue Oct 01 19:32:49 2013] [emerg] (22)Invalid argument: couldn't release the accept mutex
[Tue Oct 01 19:46:06 2013] [notice] suEXEC mechanism enabled (wrapper: /usr/local/apache/bin/suexec)
[Tue Oct 01 19:46:07 2013] [notice] mod_ruid2/0.9.4a enabled

I had this on my VPS as well when I first installed mod_ruid2

I've added to pre_main_global.conf

Code:
AcceptMutex flock

That should fix it.

Not bad... I may end up getting a second VPS just for that. Right now I replicate the DB's between my two servers, rsync the backups (DB and forum structure) between the two and then rsync the DB/forum to my Mac and Debian server at the house. Think I'm doing overkill? :D
I have my database backups uploaded to Amazon S3 and my NAS at home currently each night. I also have R1Soft doing a full incremental backup of the hole VPS 4 x daily on a 14 day rotation. I also have a full rsync of my public_html folder to my NAS at home. You can never have enough versions of the site out there "just incase"

yep, you are still getting the 502 Bad Gateway error.
@MattW, see what you get with centOS? :ROFLMAO: <as I'm running to go hide in the nearest bunker!>
Why not dump apache totally and use nginx?
There is nothing wrong with CentOS. I've been using it (and RedHat / Fedora) for almost 10 years now. It's really personal preference. @DRE s VPS is with KnownHost, and their Managed packages all require a control panel. They won't even let you have a 64bit OS!

No I haven't. I don't know how to restart apache. I tried restarting my site in WHM but I couldn't bring it back up. My host was like 'nope don't do dat!'.

centOS is a OK, but I been in the Debbie camp for to long. Even on my centOS box I have here I find myself typing in apt-get instead of yum (and I went so far as to mod the prompt to remind me in garish letters to use YUM).
Let me ruin it fast for you: What is the equivalent of "yum history" or "yum history undo" in Debian? Is unapropriate to say a distro is better than other. Is a matter of taste, that's all. Some people like pizza, other pasta... yet the end result will be the same and fill your stomach.

We have sometimes at work debates about each distro. The funny thing is we all complete the same tasks or accomplish the same results, regardless what OS we run on our laptop. IMO, is useless to say Debian is better than CentOS or Fedora is nicer than Ubuntu, because is simply NOT TRUE. What is better for you is probably worst for many others and viceversa.

Last edited:
Let me ruin it fast for you: What is the equivalent of "yum history" or "yum history undo" in Debian? Is unapropriate to say a distro is better than other. Is a matter of taste, that's all. Some people like pizza, other pasta... yet the end result will be the same and fill your stomach.

We have sometimes at work debates about each distro. The funny thing is we all complete the same tasks or accomplish the same results, regardless what OS we run on our laptop. IMO, is useless to say Debian is better than CentOS or Fedora is nicer than Ubuntu, because is simply NOT TRUE. What is better for you is probably worst for many others and viceversa.
Did the "I've been in the Debbie camp for to long" confuse you? ;)
I've never had to use a "history" for anything I've installed, so that's of no benefit to me.
And as far as that goes... simple solution is
Set up in your .bashrc
Code:
function apt-history(){
      case "$1" in
        install)
              cat /var/log/dpkg.log | grep 'install '
              ;;
        upgrade|remove)
              cat /var/log/dpkg.log | grep $1
              ;;
        rollback)
              cat /var/log/dpkg.log | grep upgrade | \
                  grep "$2" -A10000000 | \
                  grep "$3" -B10000000 | \
                  awk '{print $4"="$5}'
              ;;
        *)
              cat /var/log/dpkg.log
              ;;
      esac
}
and then simply do a apt-history install, apt-history remove or apt-history upgrade... problem solved.
For undo, there is the apt-undo package.

Last edited:
LOL, you call this a simple solution? Wait for the next upgrade when everything is broken. :D
I presume my point was not taken...
Guess stuff breaking is part of centOS? 4 upgrades across 6 servers with nary a problem ever.
Course I'm not into the punishment of compiling my own stuff from source like frequently is done with centOS (from what I understand that you have to do if you want more "cutting-edge" capabilities).

I see you keep on going on the same tangent... Let me put it this way:
Running an Unix/Linux OS on a box comes down to your own personal preference. But saying that Debian is better than other OS is pure ********, coming from an admin. :)

I see you keep on going on the same tangent... Let me put it this way:
Running an Unix/Linux OS on a box comes down to your own personal preference. But saying that Debian is better than other OS is pure bull****, coming from an admin. :)
Again Floren, apparently you don't understand "is OK" either. centOS is not fantastic... and neither is Debian. Show me where I said that Debian was better than centOS. The comment was directed at @Matt W because I've pulled his tail feathers about it before.
I run Debian because I require more cutting edge features that centOS does not offer unless you go and start compiling source with typically. Once you start doing that you add complexities into the server that for (in my case) are not required.

When I was trying to learn how to run my own server, I did a lot of reading and I saw a lot of negative comments about CentOS. So I was like well, I don't want that... but then I did some more research and learned that most of the negativity came from server setups that did not push CentOS to it's potential.

I run Debian because I require more cutting edge features that centOS does not offer unless you go and start compiling source with typically. Once you start doing that you add complexities into the server that for (in my case) are not required.
Debian is cutting edge? o_O

distro-stats.webp

Debian is cutting edge? o_O

View attachment 58101
When it comes to available packages that don't require you to go out and grab source and compile - yes.
When it comes to performance - yes.
And in this aspect we are referring to minimal install - not a desktop install, which I'm pretty sure those pretty graphics are referring to. ;)
I HAVE found one thing that Debian doesn't do... it doesn't have igbinary compatible memcached available for php 5.4.x. I installed the igbinary.so via PECL just fine - but to get memcached to use it I would have to compile from source. I can wait until they get the package finished for it as it's not life-death for me right now since I'm just playing with memcached across multiple servers.

Last edited:
They won't even let you have a 64bit OS!
They need to get with the times! Used to the big argument was about you only needed 64bit if you had more than 4GB of RAM. With PAE that's pretty much a moot point since the 32bit OS can physically address more than 4GB (with the correct chipset) but the virtual space is still limited to 4GB (or was last time I checked - been on 64bit for a while now and don't keep up with much about 32bit Linux OS). Usually on current hardware you get a good performance gain by going with the 64bit (unless you are using a small memory footprint VPS).

They need to get with the times! Used to the big argument was about you only needed 64bit if you had more than 4GB of RAM. With PAE that's pretty much a moot point since the 32bit OS can physically address more than 4GB (with the correct chipset) but the virtual space is still limited to 4GB (or was last time I checked - been on 64bit for a while now and don't keep up with much about 32bit Linux OS). Usually on current hardware you get a good performance gain by going with the 64bit (unless you are using a small memory footprint VPS).
Same with MySQL. You can't allocate more than 2GB to it on 32bit.

Just to chime in on the 64bit vs 32bit debate....

Ubuntu 13.10 will be default 64 bit on download.

Of course this is not the first 64 bit edition, but their download site always had the 64 bit as the second option, with the 32 bit being the default first option. Now it will be the other way around... ie... 64 bit will be the default.

When it comes to available packages that don't require you to go out and grab source and compile - yes.
When it comes to performance - yes.
And in this aspect we are referring to minimal install - not a desktop install, which I'm pretty sure those pretty graphics are referring to. ;)
They don't. Debian is very CONSERVATIVE, I would call the OS "very flexible" but certainly NOT "cutting-edge". You seem to have a lot of knowledge, for someone that started using for the first time Debian 6 months ago. I've been using Linux/Unix for over 15 years and I can still learn/discover new things every day, regardless of my certifications. Hence, the reason why I will never say "this OS" is better than "that OS".

Last edited:
Top Bottom