403s after moving

🔥Iggy🔥

hello,
im moving from nginx to some hybrid mix with apache....things seem ok mostly but full size images are resulting in 403s and trying to insert a full size image in a post is a broken button....

i have at least replaced the default htaccess file and uncommented the first part, then edited the rewrite part.....host insists its to do with xf and nothing they can do or think of....thats all i can think to try...doesnt seem like an obvious file permission kind of thing. any ideas?

regards

hello,
ok so by now, i have created a default test site....it works fine....i copied permission, ownership, and any configs i could think of to match that(back to default) but im still failing live...

not sure what to try really by now..

regards

A 403 is a webserver forbidden error.

It could be due to permissions or ownership, or a server side security mechanism such as ModSecurity, mod_evasive, or similar.
It could even be something like the Wordfence add-on for WordPress.

hello,
i think ive ruled out permissions and ownership.....which is set to user and what ive seen you say in another post for exact permissions, nothing fancy...
ive also toggled those around some and the default site still worked so thats probably not it...

the server side seems like part of the problem tho....hosts say they cant see anything and will hardly even talk to me...so im not sure how to troubleshoot or look into any of that....i did look like modsec hits at least theres nothing there...it seems like something like that would apply to both domains tho is what puzzles me.....if it was server side....its something hiding idk how to look anymore tho.

regards

oh and btw, if i didnt mention.......its only for full size attachments it fails, that should be the clue but im scratching a hole in my head here idk

Full sized attachments are in the internal_data directory, thumbnails are in the data directory.

Confirm perms and ownership are correct for internal_data, recursively.

ok thanks for that i couldnt remember which offhand....ive overwritten the whole thing tho ownership is user and permissions are consistent thru all the directories/files...host suggested installing default then running an import, but theres just no way im doing that you know....lol

Nginx has a client_max_body_size directive. The default value is 1M, potentially limiting larger attachments. Even if the host increased the directive, perhaps it isn't enough?

i glanced they just seem rather empty so far....im still figuring out where to plug my old stuff in or how it converts in the new system but things seemed basically working and the default works that what gets me like i cant even prove to myself its server side...so yeah theres not even a mix of stuff i threw in to confuse things yet its still pretty default :unsure:

the default works
You're right. Must be something on a directory basis. Check all htaccess files. All of them. Been a while since I messed with apache, but funny things can happen in subdirectories if memory serves. Check the nginx configs as well. Is this domain's config congruent to the default config?

Is this setup running php-fpm? Could be domain specific restrictions there as well.

hello,
i just fixed it :D

oh yes its a dumb one...i knew it would be somehow lol...
i am running php-fpm....but i decided after looking every other place under every rock lol to check the admin panel in xf.....it seemed to reset the file limits in there but i didnt really notice because they bumped up my limits before i ever logged in...changed a few little settings in there but im pretty sure that was it!

hello,
i just fixed it :D

oh yes its a dumb one...i knew it would be somehow lol...
i am running php-fpm....but i decided after looking every other place under every rock lol to check the admin panel in xf.....it seemed to reset the file limits in there but i didnt really notice because they bumped up my limits before i ever logged in...changed a few little settings in there but im pretty sure that was it!
Cool, glad ya got it. 😎

Top Bottom