21 year old British Twitter user jailed for 56 days for racist tweet

I think its disgusting, and not because of his comments, but rather that this is a line being crossed in terms of freedom of speech.

I would go as far as saying this ruling encroaches on his Human rights.

See the problem is this...you can be racist all you want, you can SAY it all you want....to write it in a permanent way could incite an emotionally unstable reader to manifest his imbalance in a physical and directed manner towards another person any day down the road.

I am one of the biggest supporters of individuality and freedom that you will ever meet. From my position, people who use the internet to harass and harm others are cowards and outside of the internet they are the same likes of people who deal with physical crime....criminals of opportunity are one of the lowest forms of life. Your opinion or voice is only as free as it can be until it crosses another's line of freedom at that point their freedom chumps yours. It is very simple...I don't understand why people think the internet is a free pass to tell everyone to fux themselves and then rub it in their faces...If you're that tough guy please do this in person to someone so I can read the news later about how you got your ass whooped.

Which is sad.

And wrong

(1) Everyone has the right of freedom of expression. This right shall include freedom to hold opinions and to receive and impart information and ideas without inference by public authority and regardless of frontiers. This Article shall not prevent States from requiring the licensing of broadcasting, television or cinema enterprises.

It's reasons such as this that I run an uncensored community, Socially Uncensored

I don't like or agree with what he said and it is very disrespectful. But I do believe no matter if anyone likes it or not, he has the right to freely express himself, just as everyone else has the right to freely express their thoughts and opinion in reply.

Ah you quoted section 1 but seem to have ignored section 2.

"The exercise of these freedoms, since it carries with it duties and responsibilities, may be subject to such formalities, conditions, restrictions or penalties" etc

Eh? Are you saying that inciting racial/religious hatred isn't a crime in the UK?
I think he's saying it shouldn't be, or at least people should be free to speak their own thoughts.

I for example don't even acknowledge the concept of religion, never mind understand it, so why shouldn't I be able to say what I like about it?

Instead I am subject to various laws restricting my true thoughts.

Conversely, there is no law for inciting hatred against people such as myself for our non acknowledgement of such concepts.

Maybe when the human race matures and looks back on this period they will realise how truly immature we were.

Eh? Are you saying that inciting racial/religious hatred isn't a crime in the UK?

You can't just say whatever you like, there are limits.
There were laws preventing same sex marriage in the UK until very recently, are you saying those were just too? I know you wouldn't.

Free speech should be just that, free. Even if youre a racist *******.

I'm pretty sure he meant I was incorrect given he posted a quote from the freedom of speech act, he just ignored the second part.

Anway, you can say what you like up the limit where it starts infringing on someone else's human rights. Do you really think you shoud be able to say anything with no responsibility or repercussions?

I can remember the days when a strawberry jam jar use to show a Golliwog on it, but they removed it later - because of this.

images

Top Bottom