XF 2.2 2.2.5 Fresh Installation Fatal Error. Solved!

abnvet

I have never encountered such issues trying to install XenForo before and I need some help please.

I am trying to install a fresh installation onto my hosted web server. I tried installing at first with php 7.2 (before I came looking to these forums) that resulted with the below error:

Code:
Fatal error: Illegal length modifier specified 'f' in s[np]printf call in /home/brothe58/myserver.com/community/src/vendor/league/flysystem/src/Adapter/Local.php on line 135

After searching the forums here I saw that some others had the issue and it was suggested to upgrade php to 7.4.

I got on with my host and they upgraded to 7.4.19 and I am still getting the same error.

I then deleted everything to include the database and did a fresh install and created a new db and user and I am still getting the same error.

Please help!

Thanks

Solution
Every reference I've seen related to this error, in XF and other software, is always PHP build related.

The only advice I can give is try another build - if you have the option, switch to PHP 8.
Screen Shot 2021-06-26 at 1.46.08 PM.webp

Here is the line its referencing, however I am not skilled enough to understand what's triggering it. Again fresh install that I cannot get to work on 7.2 or 7.4

Every reference I've seen related to this error, in XF and other software, is always PHP build related.

The only advice I can give is try another build - if you have the option, switch to PHP 8.

Solution

I had them upgrade to php 8 as well and it had different errors on the main link. I had a older version (probably a year old) of xf running on the same server with php 7.2 with no issues. I removed it to do this new install because of only one license with support still. Not really sure what other options I have here - I agree with the fact this must be a php issue versus the software however it doesn't help me to get this install done. What is the recommended steps to make this work, its obviously above my skillset.

Last edited:
Have you used the requirement checker on your host?
I did and it was all good. Oddly enough I went back into my Cpanel to see if I had the option to change php versions. I was able to load php 8.0 and the install finished and I am now good to go. As mentioned this was absolutely a php version issue. thank you.

Top Bottom