1984-like mandatory RFID / near field communication identification: is it inevitable ?

Digital Doctor

Had this thought that people will be forced to use devices (ie. cell phones) that broadcast their identification to do everyday tasks such as go to a local variety store.

Coming soon is a new "broadcast" RFID technology called Near Field Communication. It will enable you to buy things with your cell phone. http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/nfc-phone.htm What if stores decided to require you to have a device like this to enter their store ? If you get rid of paper money, and you need to have a cell phone to buy anything ... they could say ... we only let people in the store with cell phones. What if the cell phone broadcasted your ID and that stores prevented you from entering unless your ID was received by a device at the store entrance.

I remember similar concerns about ATMs and debit cards. No one, to my knowledge, has ever been forced, but I know of few people who carry check books or cash nowadays. People will always follow the route of convenience.

You can't steal anything from a store if your ID is broadcasted as you walk in.
Seems like a business would want this.
Well, you could steal it, but it wouldn't be hard to catch you.

If you RFID all the items, then if your cell phone is RFID'd ... then you don't have to go to the teller, you can just walk out and the items will automatically appear on your credit card.

Maybe people want this ... no lineups ?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

No thanks...I buy things that get scanned...I don't get scanned. LOL this is not happening...besides they can't require someone to have a cellphone or other electronic device to get food and basic goods... lol require this and wait for the civil unrest to mount.

You can't steal anything from a store if your ID is broadcasted as you walk in.
Seems like a business would want this.
Well, you could steal it, but it wouldn't be hard to catch you.

If you RFID all the items, then if your cell phone is RFID'd ... then you don't have to go to the teller, you can just walk out and the items will automatically appear on your credit card.

Maybe people want this ... no lineups ?
Oh well...hey while were at it.... if you want to walk your dog in my neighborhood.. you need to feed it micro rfid chips in the food so when your walking the dog and you let it drop deuce on my lawn, I can wave the magic wand over it and find the rightful owner so I can shovel it up and put it on your lawn where it belongs...if that is not acceptable terms neither is requiring chipping things or more specifically people or items usually attached to their person.

Top Bottom