12 Years of Forums. What have you learned?

AjayJunkies

Hi everyone,

I've recently taken over and become the owner of a forum admin site, which merged in some prior and legacy forum admin sites. There are over 12 years of forum admin conversations.

When I go back and look at some of the earliest conversations, I'm both surprised and taken aback at how little the conversations have changed.

1716405739138.webp

We're still asking about how to get members to our forums. We're still figuring out expectations by admins. We're still figuring out newsletters and mass mailings.

What have we collectively learned in the last 12 years? Are we elevating the standards and knowledge practices of community management, or are we still figuring out the same things we asked over a decade ago?

Too true, staying online is a hard thing to do!

Hopefully Xenforo's status was a temporary thing for you. The site is online and working for me :)

20+ years for me, and many of my moderators have been around since the very beginning.

The Admin discussions don't change since everything evolves....continually seeking new and improved answers.

Never give up (even after 15+ years), forums are a marathon, moderation is important, good staff is nice to have, don't bring the vibe and format of social media to the forum, etc.

I don't know. I never understood that. Forums should remain different and unique. Social media is not popular because of its format. I think there is something else behind it, but I don't want to go off-topic now.

22 years for me started with proboards.
Then moved to forumer then to VB 3.
Had vb 4.2.5 for a while.
Went to xenforo stayed with them until i experiemented with smf, phpbb2, createaforum, and vb5 and vb 6..
Still with vb and xenforo

Learned that you can get a heap of meaningless trolls on your site and you can aggressively reset the whole board.

22 years for me started with proboards.
Then moved to forumer then to VB 3.
Had vb 4.2.5 for a while.
Went to xenforo stayed with them until i experiemented with smf, phpbb2, createaforum, and vb5 and vb 6..
Still with vb and xenforo

Learned that you can get a heap of meaningless trolls on your site and you can aggressively reset the whole board.

How do you differentiate a "troll" from someone who is just consistently negative? Maybe they're not actively trolling, but their posts are seldom positive.

How do you differentiate a "troll" from someone who is just consistently negative? Maybe they're not actively trolling, but their posts are seldom positive.
They start a serious thread and then do the opposite to what's being asked generally targeting the web master (person that runs the forum) for reactions.

They start a serious thread and then do the opposite to what's being asked generally targeting the web master (person that runs the forum) for reactions.
If I remember right @Suzanne O , you went out on your own accord to create threads for various members here at Xenforo.com just to rant and bash them on your site. Without even the awareness of said users until people went to check out your forum last year. Some would say that’s the master of all trolling 🤷🏼‍♂️🧌

If I remember right @Suzanne O , you went out on your own accord to create threads for various members here at Xenforo.com just to rant and bash them on your site. Without even the awareness of said users until people went to check out your forum last year. Some would say that’s the master of all trolling 🤷🏼‍♂️🧌
You sow what you reap.

It's fascinating to see how some topics and conversations in forums can stay relevant over such a long period. Have you noticed any particular topics or themes that have remained consistent throughout the years?

Advertising is still the hardest part, keeping members active beyond that core group. Keeping it relevant in a volatile niche.
I just started using my first widescreen monitor. I have lots, put I use them in portrait mode (taller than wider).
(i'm getting rid of it)(well actually putting two on top of each other and spreading windows over 2 monitors.)

I remember your site ! I thought it was great. I had to give up golf (not enough time) and i've switched to tennis.

Here's my standard size monitor 1920 x 1080 (most common size) view of your site

1716649032164.webp

I literally see no threads.

Pretty graphic. Is it too big ?

The same thing happens when I click a thread.
I cant see anything without scrolling (and that's with getting rid of the broswer bookmarks bar.

Last edited:
Social media is not popular because of its format. I think there is something else behind it, but I don't want to go off-topic now.
@BassMan - I'm actually interested to hear your thoughts on this, but agree with not wanting to take this thread too far off topic. Maybe start a new thread to discuss? :)

Back
Top Bottom