1.1 Moderation Updates

I'm quite looking forward to this more than any other feature included in 1.1.

My board will be hosting a teenage community and from experience with them on other boards I know I'll need a warning system to properly moderate those who aren't mature enough to handle otherwise.

Duplicate account eh?

That's got to be worth a warning... ;)

When I came to XenForo.com for the first time, I had created an account. Later, I decided not to use that and created this one. I will be sending you a private conversation shortly from the other account (if I remember credentials) to experience this. :-)

I'm not sure how the [Ahem. The new xenforo] warning system works, but I'm going to say this:

Hopefully, you have an alternate account to test this. Be careful with these warnings.

Once warned, the warning stays in your profile even though that the warning expires. This makes the next warning easier for mods to give out more points per warning. Just an F.Y.I.

I should know; at vB, this is the case.

[From the technical point - when the warning(s) expire - it's not removed from database, it stays there. Even when an administrator reverses it, the warning still stays there.]

What I am saying is that the warning system is almost like a tagging system from the mods' side.

From the mod's perspective - this may be the case: "Hm. This guy has been warned before, so let's give him more points to make his time here harder." I donno about you but that is abuse, IMHO.

Like I said, I do not know how the warning system works. I don't even know how it is designed compared to vB, but I am trying to exercise caution if you don't want to be banned quicker.

The mods may give you first-hand testing ground, but from the way vB handles warnings... I doubt deleting warnings is going to be a feature. In the future, mods will think you got warned in a serious offense [when in fact you were testing the warning system], so once again; just exercise caution.

tbh, i am concerned about the core infraction system...
i worry it will also follow the stealth, soviet-style of moderation demonstrated by bannings, soft deletions and the like.
i like pepelacs mod because it actually displays an infraction notification for all to see in the post and profile, and includes a 'police blotter' page in the members tab. secretive moderation is the sort of thing that would turn my community upside-down. id have constant accusations of 'inaction' coupled with charges of favourtism and the like. i prefer any moderation to be quite visible for all to see.

tbh, i am concerned about the core infraction system...
i worry it will also follow the stealth, soviet-style of moderation demonstrated by bannings, soft deletions and the like.
i like pepelacs mod because it actually displays an infraction notification for all to see in the post and profile, and includes a 'police blotter' page in the members tab. secretive moderation is the sort of thing that would turn my community upside-down. id have constant accusations of 'inaction' coupled with charges of favourtism and the like. i prefer any moderation to be quite visible for all to see.

interesting point there about the publicly available infraction via the members profile... I'll have to give that some thought. Certainly the switch to XF is the time to make any big changes like this.

I also agree with the 'soviet style' moderation style, mainly enforced it has to be said by the way things are done in vB. It would be nice for the system to automatically PM a user when a thread is moved or deleted with a reason inserted into the PM so the mod can say why.

Its little things like that which really help speed up the whole mod process as it saves doing it by hand each time, which naturally some mods forget to do. The member then knows why a thread was moved / deleted, which is no bad thing, tbh.

A couple of mods that I'll have to look into.

Top Bottom