šŸ„ Electronic drum kit

Paul B

XenForo moderator
Staff member
Anyone got/tried an electronic drum kit?

I'm toying with the idea of getting an Alesis Nitro, or Surge.

I don't really want to spend more than $500 and as it will just be for messing around, kits up to that price will be more than adequate.

Currently leaning towards the Surge due to the additional dual zone drums and the smaller rim.

I originally looked at the Donner DED-200 but the Surge seems a step up even considering the additional $150.

I used to play the drums at school.
Synthetic music these days are not that ideal.
But that being said go hunting for them at your local music store.

Is that in reference to the sound?

They have mesh heads which are a lot quieter than the old rubber heads.

Is that in reference to the sound?

They have mesh heads which are a lot quieter than the old rubber heads.
yeah but they tend to sound really fake.

I had a black Yamaha drum kit when in school. I had lessons and the like.
You can tell between the real sound and the fake ones.
Also if you wanted drumsticks you can get some that make everything sound like your old washbasin.

I played in a rock band for 15 years and our drummer had an electronic kit which he used for home practice - he loved it for that purpose but preferred the 'real skin' kit, especially when playing live. This was a long while ago, so I imagine the kits will have progressed significantly. I would advise trying them out in your local music shop and get a 'feel' for different setups and find the one that appeals to you the most. I can't speak to makes as I was a guitarist mainly (keyboards later as well as) but any well renowned make should be fine.

This was my baby - Gibson Flying V Mk2 limited edition with gold-plated fittings and single coil boomerang pickups. If you love your new kit as much as I loved this guitar, then you will have something special - enjoy!

Untitled.png

We've got this Alesis set here at work and they sound great! Definitely not gonna get this set for under $500 but, even though I'm sure there will be some difference, I can't imagine the cheaper Alesis sets would sound too far off from how these sound. I think with this set you're mostly paying for the look.

PXL_20230830_162936895.jpg

PXL_20230830_162954968.jpg

Last edited:
Nice!

That looks like the Strike Pro which is a significant step up from the Surge.

Way more than I would need but I bet that's fun to play on.

Nice!

That looks like the Strike Pro which is a significant step up from the Surge.

Way more than I would need but I bet that's fun to play on.

Yes, that's correct. I was just mainly posting it so you knew I wasn't full of it...this set sounds great and I wouldn't hesitate to buy any of their other sets if I were in the market.

Pulled the trigger and bought the Alesis Surge Mesh SE.

Found a deal on a music site which included a free $300 8" amp for the same price as everywhere else: Alesis Strike Amp 8

It's a fairly decent kit with hundreds of drum sounds built in to the module, 60 free lessons, and free VST software (BFD) with one drum expansion pack.
Other packs can be purchased: BFD Expansions

I can also purchase an additional tom and cymbal if wanted for $60.

This is the actual kit and software being demonstrated.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Let the noise begin!

My daughter already has a half decent keyboard.
I found a used Yamaha for my youngest many years ago. It's still here at the house, and I've used it with the Arturia emulator package which includes all sorts of classic keyboards--everything from a Hammond B3 (with Leslie cabinet effect) to a Clavinet, Mellotron, Yamaha DX7, Rhodes stage piano, and a dozen others. It also includes a handful of effects pedals to add to the output.

I can't quite do a full Hammond B3 setup (I would need a second keyboard and a set of bass pedals), but it's still fun to play with. It all works together with MIDI, which even lower cost keyboards are capable of. I'm a fan of Dr. Lonnie Smith, Jimmy Smith, Joe DeFrancesco, Johnny "Hammond" Smith, and others.

The kit and amp came at the weekend, the stool (I am not calling it a throne!) and headphones came today.

It's at the back of the play room so tutorial videos can be watched on the TV.

The camera is to record progress - I thought it would be fun to see how each of us are doing in 3/6/9/12 months.

All in it cost just over $630 but with some good deals on the headphones and stool, as well as the amp being thrown in for free and some store credit, I saved around $400.

20230904_163848.webp

20230904_163911.webp

20230904_163938.webp

Top Bottom