WHERE p.thread_id = t.thread_id
    AND t.first_post_id = 0
    GROUP BY(p.thread_id)
    ORDER BY p.post_date ASC
) AS jointids
SET thread.first_post_id = jointids.post_id
WHERE thread.first_post_id = 0
AND thread.thread_id  = jointids.thread_id

This will only update the threads where first_post_id = 0 (which is wrong anyway, first_post_id should never be 0)

Not sure if the above works, so try it on a test enviroment

If something goes wrong I'll just delete the database and start over on my original, so no worries other than some time.

Looks like it might have worked?

Code:
127211 rows affected. (Query took 5.7926 sec)

Just ran the thread ID search query and verified that first_post is propagated correctly now. :D

And...well (pretty much) worked. I went to go promote that thread to article, and now I have new error message, lol.

3WW - Error
Please enter a number that is no more than 65535.

However upon testing a little bit more, this happens *only* if I leave the check box to make the first post become a "read more" link.

It looks like we are on the right track now atleast :)

Okay, so NEXT question is, is there any sort of a batch way to convert the threads into articles? I have what is about 50 +/- subforums imported that are categories, each with atleast a few threads in them, some with 20 or 30...

I would imagine I would need to make categories to match each subforum I have currently, but what would I do from there?

Could it be possible to have a simple version of this? I'm really hurting to make basic glossaries - 2 columns with word + translation, searchable.
It's about 6 weeks since you posted that estimate so just wondering - dont take it as pressuring or bullying PLEASE I'm just such a big fan and wondering.

Very very very close to releasing ;) Just testing upgrades and fresh installs

tenants updated XenZine Articles with a new update entry:

Large Update: Performance Improvements, Custom fields + More

Theses update are provided free of charge for anyone already owning a paid version of XenZine Articles

This version is aimed towards performance improvements and custom fields
1.2.00 contains the following:

Significant Memory Performance Improvements:
Reducing the amount of browser memory in use (reducing div bloat and other areas), allowing even low spec hand held devices to perform well with even a thousand of articles displayed on the Article List at once

Significant Human...

Read the rest of this update entry...

See example here: http://xenzine.com
You can download this update from here: http://www.surreyforum.co.uk/threads/xenzine-articles.2206/

I will be providing some examples for custom fields at xenzine.com, custom fields for xenzine are extremely flexible and customisable per category, they are also easy to target...
This makes XenZine Articles extremely flexible for many things

... I'll create some examples and how-to guides shortly

I will be doing a few small releases next
- Once published, modifying article attachments is still only possible via admin edit/ acp attachment manager. I will try to include user attachment management of published articles in one of the smaller releases next

@tenants Something in the new updates css is breaking the main background of my site design, seems like their is a background no repeat somewhere in the css.

Nope its not a no repeat, as its repeating up to the point where it don't any longer.
Screen Shot 2014-03-01 at 14.23.24.webp

Last edited:
@tenants Something in the new updates css is breaking the main background of my site design, seems like their is a background no repeat somewhere in the css.

Nope its not a no repeat, as its repeating up to the point where it don't any longer.
View attachment 68393

Send me the url and I'll take a look. It's possibly something related to the style/EXTRA.css, but there have been quite a few template changes with the build

I wish there was alphabetical sorting, but anyways upgrading now.

Okay, this has been requested by someone else, I didn't think people would make use of it, maybe I was wrong

- One issue I have is that it's quite hard to fit a lot of filter/order icons in one row:

upload_2014-3-1_16-52-31.webp

Currently there are 4 (order by: activity, likes, ratings, views)
- I don't want to cram theses icons, so is ordering by a maximum of 4 options acceptable (I expect most people will drop filter by "Likes" in preference to "Alphabetical")

I seriously still think alphabetical ordering is unnecessary, since you can filter the list by keywords / title:

upload_2014-3-1_16-56-19.webp

(Ignore country, I added that as a filterable custom field example)

Sent a PC with the URL.

From the template xenzine_isotope.css

remove:

html, body {
height: 100%;
}

It's not needed and causing an issue when a repeating background is set on body. I'll remove this from the next version in case anyone else runs into the same issue

- you might also want to adjust your buttons in the Article list, since they seem bigger than core/most styles (there is an EXTRA template just for the Article List now: EXTRA_ArticleList.css )

Code:
.cateListFull .styledBox a.callToAction {
margin: -4px auto;
}

Also, have you tried ticking the pimpmexenzine option at the bottom of the xenzine options, it may/maynot be suitable for your style

Last edited:
From the template xenzine_isotope.css

remove:

html, body {
height: 100%;
}

It's not needed and causing an issue when a repeating background is set on body. I'll remove this from the next version in case anyone else runs into the same issue

- you might also want to adjust your buttons in the Article list, since they seem bigger than core/most styles (there is an EXTRA template just for the Article List now: EXTRA_ArticleList.css )

Code:
.cateListFull .styledBox a.callToAction {
margin: -4px auto;
}

Also, have you tried ticking the pimpmexenzine option at the bottom of the xenzine options, it may/maynot be suitable for your style
Them edits did the trick and yep just tired the pimpmexenzine and that is a better fit.

Where do i need to look to edit the placement of the "Custom - Submit an Article Button" because just turned that on, as most miss the sub menu link, but its well out of place.

Screen Shot 2014-03-01 at 17.38.12.webp

Thanks for this great update!

But on my XenForo the options "Display the top category/pick header" and "Display the bottom filter header" doesn't have any effect. Nothing changes.

Them edits did the trick and yep just tired the pimpmexenzine and that is a better fit.

Where do i need to look to edit the placement of the "Custom - Submit an Article Button" because just turned that on, as most miss the sub menu link, but its well out of place.

View attachment 68420
That was a custom submit button, it's actually not needed any more since each page has the submit article in the nav bar now.

I would just turn it off

If you want to add it, you'll need to define where it goes by positioning it with absolute positioning using EXTRA.css (it was just an extra button I added for someone, but I'm not sure if they need it any more)

Last edited:
All of my articles 'views' count is zero!! :(

Yes, there is no way of going back in history and getting the counts.
The counts will only start when you update to 1.2.00 and above, you can hide the counts until they've built up (via the xenzine options)

If this is the custom fields to display a grid of listings I have been eagerly waiting for YAY! + kisses.
Can't wait for a demo.

# I didn't see a search function on this. To display search results from the grid display.
So for example if I load a whole lot of listings on a grid it could be either a long page, or an A-Z split over tabs. (Maybe not a single letter per tab, poss. A-C, D-F etc Or date ranges, or types.
It would then be crucial to search a larger collection of listings like this, for the ones relevant to user interest.

I thought there was a demo on xenzine.com Are demos now to be on surreyforums or xenzine?

# On a separate search issue, as the addon is now it is beautifully integrated with the main search box top right. But the standard search link on the secondary navbar under Forums is misleading as it displays as Search Everything. I have changed that to Search (forums only).
It would be lovely to have a Search (Articles) on the xenzine secondary navbar, to match.

# Actually I'd love to add a link to the 2nd navbar (both Forums and Articles) which would give an integrated Everything search of new stuff over X days. (Both forums and articles)
I currently have the standard XF new posts on the Forums 2nd navbar which displays 90 days of recent posts (small forum, this is an adjustable setting how many days). I call it LATEST! and it's the main link everyone uses.
It'd be great to have an integrated search link on the right hand end of both 2nd bars.

Last edited:
Top Bottom