Xenforo & Wordpress Bridge

Deepmartini

Everyone knows the crap forum called BBpress is like the ugly stepchild of Wordpress, left alone and abandoned. SimplePressForum (a Wordpress Plugin) is a good start but doesn't have the "wow" factor but integrates perfectly with Wordpress.

If Xenforo could release a Wordpress plugin that has full integration with Wordpress including all user information and a single login, it would be a POWERHOUSE. Do you know how many Wordpress sites want to add a forum to their site but can't?

Any mods like this coming?

Upvote 46
I'd like to see a project similar to IP.Nexus for Xenforo...i want to pay for this.

http://community.invisionpower.com/blog/1174/entry-4927-introducing-ipnexus/

Quite an interesting feature list.

IPS has a fully featured community suite of products including forums, blogs, image galleries, file management, live chat, and content management. We felt the clear missing piece to this product line was an application that allowed you to monetize and promote your community.

We are happy to introduce IP.Nexus to fill that space!

The new IP.Nexus application is designed to help you earn money from your community both directly and indirectly. Direct options include features such as payment processing and shopping carts whereas indirect methods may be banner tracking and donations. Everyone here at IPS is very excited to introduce this new application and hope our customers will be able to take advantage of the variety of features in the product such as:

• Shopping cart functionality.
  • Pre-defined packages and custom packages for purchase.
  • Custom fields for package definition for great flexibility when creating packages to purchase.
  • Purchase standalone items.
  • Purchase packages to upgrade to a "higher" member group and automatic downgrades on expiration.
  • Support ticket system including incoming email parsing.
  • Community donation system with goal support.
  • Ability to give members "credits" for commissions, awards, or other purposes.
  • Credits can be used for future purchases or member can request a payout. Payout support included.
  • Members can give out a referral link and can earn commission on sales that members they refer make.
  • Multiple payment gateways including PayPal, Authorize.net, and offline payments. More gateways will be added based on feedback.
  • Global search box on every page of IP.Nexus admin area to easily lookup customers, invoices, or support tickets.
  • Stock actions/replies for support ticket system on admin side.
  • Multiple status types for tickets.
  • Ability to track tickets for future follow-ups.
  • Upload banner images for display and tracking using IP.Board's ad management system.
  • Customer overview page showing complete customer history, current orders, and options.
  • Audit new transactions and purchase to catch fraud.
  • Integration with IP.Downloads to handle purchasing of files.
  • Support for sales commission in the IP.Downloads integration.
  • Live support chat service for your staff to interact with your customers! Chat service hosted by IPS so your server resources are saved. No extra fee as long as your IP.Nexus license is active.
  • Ability to one-click move a chat to a support ticket.
  • All chats logged to a user account (if one exists) and, if not, moved to user account if they register/order later.
    Live Chat service has been delayed until a future version of IP.Nexus so we can focus on improving other areas based on customer feedback.
  • Functions available for third-party developers to initiate payment processes in other applications. Payments are handled by IP.Nexus creating a central payment system.
Exactly what part/feature set of IP.Nexus do users want ?
Specifically ....

I think the problem with these bigger add ons is that those who want it, really think they need everything that you can think of, because they want it. Where in reality they will use 25% of the feature list, and only 50% of that incidentally.

I still vote for site owners to not try to complete their site with filling it up with features, but rather focus on completing the content on the site to become a resource for their members. Complimenting it with additional features to make their moderating work and content management easier and more logical.

Maybe we should find out who's interested and pool resources (money) to get a really full featured bridge that migrates vBlogs to WP 3.0 (which pretty much merges WP and WPMU)? I'm sure that a ton of folks with vBlog would like to get their member's blogs into something that actually accomplishes something :), and if a site HAS vBlog and the members have used it at all, that'll be a show stopper that keeps them from moving to XF at least until there is an XF blog component.

Personally I think that WP 3 blogs for all vBlog users would be a HUGE upgrade ;).

You know, that's a curious idea that I really like. In development communities like this, having the user-base donate to a pool of money that is given to a developer (who draws a contract with the software company) to build a module or add functionality. I really like that idea. It helps the product. It helps the community. It helps the developer. I'd pay.

A WordPress bridge would be brilliant idea, I have many WordPress sites that I would love to place this forum script onto.

Can you explain to me (I know almost nothing about Wordpress or WPMU) what the big benefits are of a bridge between XenForo and Wordpress MU compared to a new integrated XenForo XenBlog system?
Kier and Mike could spend the next year nose-to-the-grindstone and deliver the best Blog plugin you could ever imagine, I will still be very hesitant to leave Wordpress.

Wordpress has:
  • 10,000 styles
  • 1,000's of plugins including completely customizable Contact Us forum, Surveys, Calendar, Event signup & tracking, etc.
  • Native apps for iPhone, Blackberry, and Android for quickly posting articles and approving comments
  • Sidebar widgets
  • multiple hierarchical categories for articles
  • post Tagging, Trackbacks, Pingbacks

Um Wordpress sounds great.

Can a "bridge" mean that WP operates off the XF memberlist?
As in one login not two? Preferably with XF as mistress and WP as servant?

Um Wordpress sounds great.

Can a "bridge" mean that WP operates off the XF memberlist?
As in one login not two? Preferably with XF as mistress and WP as servant?
That's normally the way it works. Depending on the bridge one system or the other is the accounts master and the other just uses that. The jFusion bridge for Joomla! lets you pick which of the several software packages you have integrated is the master, and it's all single sign in. :)

I'll restate my agreement, I think a fully supported, full featured bridge to Wordpress would create a best of breed solution that would be hugely more effective than tying up Mike and Kier for untold months building a CMS. If they spent a fraction of that on a WP bridge, I bet we would have single signon as well as the ability to use XF as the comment system (create threads in XF for blog posts), integrated search system and all kinds of other value added goodness that would make a XF+WP a world beating combination. Plus there would be an obvious solution to the "Blogs" component that many folks want to port over from vB... Turn on multi-blog in WP 3.x and have a migrator that creates WP blogs from the vBlog entries! Talk about a HUGE upgrade for all our members! Going from vBlog to WP would be like going from a Model T to a top of the line Mercedes! :)

Another thought regarding this integration:

Once WP is bridged with XF solving both the CMS and Blog issues, if Kier and Mike create a good integrated gallery system, members could upload images into the gallery, then use them in their posts, use them in their blog entries etc. It'd all be in ONE centralized, searchable gallery! That would be hugely useful, and would prevent the duplication of uploading that wastes storage space, bandwidth and frustrates the membership. Why should they EVER have to upload anything twice? Once they have uploaded a file it should be reusable anywhere. And if it's categorized and searchable it can become a major resource both for them and the community.

...the ability to use XF as the comment system
This has my strong vote. From a marketing perspective the number of WP blogs is huge. If a tiny fraction of that market would buy xf, that is a lot of sales.

Of course there may be licensing issues. But it could be marketed carefully (maybe).

I couldn't agree more with this idea. Since I have been unable to get the VBCMS to really work the way I want it to, I'm in the planning stages of moving my site to WP (I run another CMS at the present this is incompatible with VB4). It doesn't even need to be a really complicated integration. All that's really necessary is:
  1. Single signon, preferably using the XF database as the master.
  2. Some means to map usergroups to WP roles
Some additional tweaks, though not necessary (would be cool though)
  1. Use of XF avatar in WP comment posts
  2. Add a method to have comments and articles made in WP posted to "Recent Activities".

2. Add a method to have comments and articles made in WP posted to "Recent Activities".
Seems like that would a nearly essential feature for the hybrid to work smoothly.
Not all users on the web are familiar with WP (I know, I know...), so for my audience the integration would need to be seamless.

1. Use of XF avatar in WP comment posts

Avatar would be a an excellent added bit, but I'd FAR rather have WP posts added into the search results and use XF itself for the comment engine. YMMV of course :)

Just the thought of having WP integrate with XF so that users are mapped, and XF handles the comments makes me happy. Very happy.

Top Bottom