Xenforo Review system - Would you invest

I would buy such an add-on - if it was of the type I need. Mine would be fairly simple - just something to replace my current review system. It would require custom fields though!
http://www.hearth.com/ratings/stoveratings.php
That's one quirky review system !
Displaying matches 1 to 20 of 1705 matches for Wood only
It's down right amazing how many reviews you have as well !
wow.

Whether I would finance the system being built is another story. The biggest problem I see with XF add-ons is future support, so before I moved a major part of my site to one I'd want to have some assurance - for instance, that the add-on writer was a regular long-term community member and they would agree to release it into the wild (not terminate it) if they decided not to update it in the future, etc.
Same old, same old.
Any ideas how to fix it ?

I have thought a lot about using Resource Manager as a Review system. While it was not built for that purpose, I think it's flexible enough to serve as a basic review system. With additional template modifications, we can make it look like any traditional review system out there.

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/suggestions-to-make-the-rm-more-extendable-to-other-uses.26748/
I agree. Without looking at it with much depth yet, I could make it work as long as I could do the following:
  1. Have multiple purchase links to third-party sites (instead of downloads on my own site)
  2. Remove author info and replace with artist
  3. Change tabs to be relevant (i.e. no Updates; add Video, Lyrics, etc.)

I would invest in something like this. One thought of mine though is that for my use, it would have to be able to "recognize" similar review topics. Like if I have a member review object a, and someone else writes a review for object a, I would like them to be tied together somehow or at least indicate that object a has several reviews.

That's one quirky review system !

It's down right amazing how many reviews you have as well !
wow.

Same old, same old.
Any ideas how to fix it ?

My databases were started running on my mac at home using filemaker and lasso.....on a 56K connection! They communicated with my web server elsewhere....that was in 1998 or so.....

As far as fixing the support, I have not thought it out - but one thing which might help would be for the writers to agree - up front - to release the code to open source if they stopped supporting it. That's just off-the-cuff. This would at least allow users to have other coders modify and update it.

I need that one. How i can get that?
You can't, it's a custom mod for my site :)

That sounds mean, I know. The problem is I'm not a coder, so someone else did the mod for me and he doesn't want it to be released because he has no interest in offering support, etc for it. It was developed as a favour to me (I nagged him until he submitted ;) ). If I could offer updates and support for it, I'd consider releasing it. But it's a moot point, since I can't.

You can't, it's a custom mod for my site :)

That sounds mean, I know. The problem is I'm not a coder, so someone else did the mod for me and he doesn't want it to be released because he has no interest in offering support, etc for it. It was developed as a favour to me (I nagged him until he submitted ;) ). If I could offer updates and support for it, I'd consider releasing it. But it's a moot point, since I can't.
Support? We don't need no stinkin' support! :D

Support? We don't need no stinkin' support! :D
Except it would be necessary because the options are hardcoded into it and aren't changeable without editing the addon itself- so unless you're planning on having webhost reviews or Community Site reviews, the options available would be of no use to you at all ;)

Would he consider selling the source code so that another developer can take it on, support it and make it more generic?

I hope Azhria won't have to answer questions like this when the RM comes out, to be honest.
The RM's nothing to do with me, so :p

The reason I can't give an answer currently is because it's not something I've ever considered. I wanted the review system for Admin Extra, it's a custom mod that no one else has and, forgive me for being selfish, but I kinda like having something that is different from the norm :p

So I'd want to have a good think about whether or not I want to give up the rights on it to someone else *shrug*

Top Bottom